Back to Region IV
- Alliance Background:
February 12, 2009
June 10, 2011
Overview: OSHA and industry formed this Alliance to share collective expertise, foster a culture of injury and illness prevention, and to focus on the reduction and prevention of crane accidents.
Implementation Team Membership:
The implementation team included representatives from the U.S. Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Ft. Lauderdale, Tampa and Jacksonville Area Offices; the Associated Builders and Contractors' (ABC) Florida East Coast, Central Florida, and Florida Gulf Coast Chapters; the Associated General Contractors of American (AGC) South Florida, Florida East Coast, and Greater Florida Chapters; the Construction Association of South Florida (CASF); the Florida Crane Owners' Council, Inc. (FCOC); the Florida Transportation Builders' Association (FTBA); and Crane Tech, LLC.
February 12, 2011, through June 10, 2012
- Implementation Team Meetings:
During this period, implementation meetings were conducted on the following dates: November 2, 2011; December 7, 2011; February 28, 2012; March 23, 2012; and April 17, 2012.
- Events and Products
Raising Awareness of OSHA's Rulemaking and Enforcement Initiatives
Training and Education
- On January 11, 2012, CAS's from each of the OSHA area office in Florida, as well as other Alliance members attended the Sims Crane Management seminar in Tampa, FL. Safety and health outreach materials was also distributed during the event.
- On May 2, 2012, the OSHA CAS in the Ft. Lauderdale Area Office promoted the Florida Crane Safety Alliance during a safety and health presentation conducted at the Turner School of Construction Management. Approximately 80 small business contractors attended the event.
Outreach and Communication
- Members of the Alliance and the OSHA CAS staff in Florida effectively promoted the Florida Crane Safety Alliance during the following events:
- The 2012 Construction Association of South Florida Safety Conference conducted on April 13, 2012. Approximately 500 employers and employees attended the event.
- The Alliance was promoted during the Florida Energy Pipeline Association on July 23, 2011.
- The Alliance was promoted to the instructor's for the Building Trades Union on July 23, 2011.
- The Alliance was promoted during Scientech's Fossil Operations & Maintenance Information Service (FOMIS) conference in Florida on June 30, 2011.
- The 2011 Construction Association of South Florida Safety Conference conducted on April 23, 2011. Approximately 500 employers and employees attended the event.
- The 2011 AGC Safety Expo conducted on May 15, 2011. Approximately 350 employers and employees attended the event.
- The Workers' Compensation Safety Seminars conducted throughout Florida, from May 2011 to May 2012. Approximately 10,000 employers and employees attended the event.
Upcoming Milestones in FY 2011-2012
- Refer to the events listed above
- The Florida Crane Safety Alliance Committee is actively working to develop outreach materials to provide all construction employers and workers with information regarding the safe operation and rigging of cranes.
- A wallet size card focused on the safe operations of cranes will be developed by the Alliance group.
- The group will continue to effectively promote the Florida Crane Safety Alliance.
Report Prepared by: Vergie Bain, CAS - Ft. Lauderdale Area Office
For more information, contact the Office of Outreach Services and Alliances at 202-693-2340 or go to www.osha.gov.