to Region IV
U.S. Department of Labor
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Ft. Lauderdale Area Office
Jacaranda Executive Court
8040 Peters Road, Building H-100
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida 33324
(954) 424-0242; Fax (954) 424-3073
(Ft. Lauderdale, Jacksonville and Tampa Area Offices)
Florida Crane Safety Alliance - Annual Report
May 3, 2010
- Alliance Background:
February 12, 2009
Overview: OSHA, and Associated Builders and Contractors of Florida (ABC), South
Florida Associated General Contractors of American (AGC), Construction
Association of South Florida (CASF), and the Florida Crane Owners’ Council, Inc.
(FCOC), Associated General Contractors of American (AGC) East Coast Chapter,
Associated General Contractors (AGC) of Greater Florida, the Florida
Transportation Builders' Association (FTBA) and the Commercial Builders Council
– Florida Home Builders Association (CBC-FHBA) and the Central Florida Chapter
of ABC (Central Florida – ABC) established a collaborative agreement to provide
members and others with information, guidance, and access to training resources
focused on the reduction and prevention of crane accidents.
Implementation Team Membership:
Members consist of OSHA, ABC, South Florida - AGC, CASF, FCOC, AGC- East Coast
Chapter, AGC of Greater Florida, FTBA, CBC-FHBA and the Central Florida – ABC
February 12, 2009, through February 12, 2010
- Implementation Team Meetings:
These meetings were conducted as scheduled on the following dates:
June 24, 2009, July 16, 2009, August 12, 2009, October 7, 2009, November 5,
2010, January 13, 2010 and January 22, 2010
- Events and Products
Training and Education
- On Wednesday, Nov. 4, from 7 to 8 a.m. the Florida Crane Safety Alliance
conducted its first Florida "Crane Safety Stand-down." Contractors participated
in this "stand down" on construction sites throughout Florida. During the "stand-down" construction contractors to educated their employees on crane and
rigging safety awareness. Posters and talking points were made available by OSHA
and other members of the Florida Crane Safety Alliance.
- On December 13 and 15, 2009 the group conducted two, two-hour
train-the-trainer sessions on proper rigging, which were developed by the
Florida Crane Safety Alliance. The 8-hour course provided participants with
awareness training regarding the hazards presented by cranes and rigging.
Outreach and Communication
- On April 9, 2009, an Alliance Addendum was signed with the AGC – Greater
- On April 17, 2009, an Alliance Addendum was signed with the AGC – East Coast
- On May 22, 2009, an Alliance Addendum was signed with the Florida
Transportation Builders’ Association.
- On August 26, 2009, an Alliance Addendum was signed with the Commercial
Builders Council - Florida Home Builders Association.
- On January 8, 2010, an Alliance Addendum was signed with the Central Florida
Chapter of the ABC.
- The group effectively promoted the Florida Crane Alliance at the following
- AGC Safety Expo
- Florida Crane Owners Association Meeting
- Construction Association of South Florida – Safety Conference
- Workers’ Compensation Safety Seminars throughout Florida
Promoting the National Dialogue on Workplace Safety and Health
- The "Crane Safety Stand-down" was promoted in the November 2009 edition of the
Professional Women in Construction – South Florida Chapter newsletter and the
Cape-Coral- Daily Breeze.
- The Florida Crane Safety Alliance was promoted in the December 2009 edition of
the Crane Inspection & Certification Bureau (CICB) newsletter.
||Presentation to South Florida
AGC safety committee on alliance
||AGC Safety Expo
||Presentation to Florida Crane
||Construction Association of
South Florida – Safety Conference
||80 - Workers’ Compensation
Safety Seminars throughout Florida
- Upcoming Milestones in FY 2010-2011
Report Prepared by: Vergie Bain, CAS – Ft. Lauderdale Area Office
- The Florida Crane Alliance Committee is actively developing additional
safety training modules to help employees work safely around rigging and
- The group will continue to effectively promote the Florida Crane Alliance.
For more information, contact the Office of Outreach Services and Alliances at
202-693-2340 or go to