U.S. Department of Labor
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Atlanta-West Area Office
1995 North Park Place Suite 525
Atlanta, Georgia 30339
Atlanta-West Area Office Status Report
Constru-Guia Al Dia Magazine Alliance
May 29, 2016
- Alliance Background
A. Date Signed:
May 11, 2010
March 25, 2013
March 19, 2015
B. Evaluation Period:
May 17, 2015 through May 16, 2016
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Atlanta-West Area Office and Constru-Guia Al Dia Magazine Alliance is focused on providing Constru-Guia Al Dia Magazine readers and others with information, guidance, and access to training resources to help them protect the health and safety of workers in the construction industry.
- Implementation Team Membership and Contributors:
The implementation team included representatives from the OSHA Atlanta-West Area Office and Constru-Guia Al Dia Magazine. Implementation team meetings were conducted during the following months in support of the magazine’s publication:
- May 2015
- July 2015
- August 2015
- January 2016
- February 2016
- March 2016
- April 2016
- Provide expertise in developing information on the recognition and prevention of workplace hazards, and provide expertise in developing ways of communicating such information (e.g., print and electronic media, electronic assistance tools, and OSHA’s and the Constru-Guia Al Dia Magazine Web sites) to employers and workers in the construction industry. Constru-Guia Al Dia Magazine will publish a workplace safety section four times a year with the assistance of OSHA personnel. OSHA’s support will include reviewing, writing and approving safety articles contained in Constru-Guia Al Dia Magazine. OSHA will work cooperatively with the editorial board of Constru-Guia Al Dia Magazine on the selection of topics of the safety articles. Constru-Guia Al Dia Magazine is published quarterly and has a national circulation of over 170,000 copies.
- Speak, exhibit, or appear at OSHA’s or Constru-Guia Al Dia Magazine conferences, local meetings, or other construction-related events.
- Share information among OSHA personnel and industry safety and health professionals regarding Constru-Guia Al Dia Magazine best practices or effective approaches, and publicize results through outreach by Constru-Guia Al Dia Magazine and through OSHA- or Constru-Guia Al Dia Magazine -developed materials, training programs, workshops, seminars, and lectures (or any other applicable forum).
- Promote and encourage Constru-Guia Al Dia Magazine readers’ participation in OSHA’s cooperative programs such as compliance assistance, the Voluntary Protection Programs, and the On-site Consultation Program and its Safety and Health Achievement Recognition Program.
- Summer 2015 – “Remodeling hazards revealed”
- Fall 2015 – “OSHA’s new silica rule”
- Early Spring 2016 – “Safety Pays & Injury Prevention Programs”
- Spring 2016 – “ Lead exposure”
- Summer 2016 – “What you need to know about OSHA’s new record-keeping rule”
- Fall 2016 – “The real costs of workplace injuries”
- Early Spring 2016 – “Tethering programs”
- Fall Protection
- Personal Protection Equipment
- Jobsite Safety
- New OSHA Recordkeeping Reporting Requirements
- OSHA’s Safety Pays Program
- Temporary Workers in the Construction Industry
Outreach and Communication
To share information on OSHA's National Emphasis Programs, Regulatory Agenda, and opportunities to participate in the rulemaking process.
OSHA Areas of Emphasis Supported
|Alliance Products, Dissemination||During this period, the Compliance Assistance Specialist (CAS) in the Atlanta-West Area Office reviewed and offered revisions regarding several articles developed for the publication. The CAS also provided the Constru-Guia Al Dia Magazine with assistance during the selection of photographs, used to illustrate articles in the magazine. Safety and health related articles were featured in the publication regarding the following topics:
||Construction, Fall Prevention, Hazard Communication/ Chemicals, Heat Illness Prevention, Hispanic/ Latino Worker, Small Business, Temporary Workers and Young Workers||Constru Guia al Dia Magazine is published quarterly, with a circulation of 330,000 copies.|
|Dissemination||During this period, Constru-Guia Al Dia Magazine (http://www.proconstructionguide.com/construction-safety/) continued to provide visitors with safety and health information on its website. These safety and health features included the following:
||Construction, Fall Prevention, Hispanic/ Latino Worker, Small Business, and Temporary Workers||110,000 monthly page views|
- Note 1: Starting with the Spring 2014 issue, the magazine is publishing key articles, including the safety section, in a bilingual format.
- Note 2: This magazine has become the largest circulated Hispanic male magazine in the U.S.
- Note 3: 76% of the readers are owners or supervisors and 24% are laborers.
- Note 4: Magazine circulation and website visitors are based on information provided in the magazine’s 2015 media kit.
- The Alliance group is planning the renewal of the Constru-Guia Al Dia Alliance in FY 2017
- Continue to effectively promote safety and health through the Alliance, with emphasis on contacting hard-to-reach workers
- Continue to effectively promote OSHA outreach initiatives and campaigns, such the Heat Illness Prevention, Residential Fall Protection, and Worker’s Rights
Report Prepared by: Marilyn M. Velez, Atlanta-West Area Office - CASBack to Top