U.S. Department of Labor
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Atlanta-East Area Officev LaVista Perimeter Office Park
Building 7, Suite 110
Tucker, Georgia 30084-4154
Atlanta-East, Atlanta-West and Savannah Area Offices
ASSE Trenching Alliance
Annual and Closeout Report
March 12, 2013
- Alliance Background
October 22, 2004
December 27, 2011
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), Georgia Institute of Technology -Safety, Health, and Environmental Technology Division (Georgia Tech) and American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE) - Trench Safety Task Force Alliance is focused on reducing and preventing exposure to trenching and excavation hazards.
- Implementation Team Membership and Contributors:
Representatives from OSHA, ASSE and Georgia Tech discussed the Alliance and coordinated outreach, as well as training event by telephone throughout the year.
January 1, 2012, through December 31, 2012
- Events and Products
Raising Awareness of OSHA's Rulemaking and Enforcement Initiatives
Training and Education
- Representatives from Alliance group, led by the ASSE Trenching Taskforce, participated in the OSHA Training Institute (OTI) 502 course, Update for Construction Industry Outreach Trainers, at Georgia Tech, on the following dates:
- January 11, 2012
- August 14, 2012
- A representative from Alliance group participated in the OSHA Training Institute (OTI) 3010 course, Excavation, Trenching and Soil Mechanics, at Georgia Tech, on the following dates:
- April 24, 2012
- October 16, 2012
Outreach and Communication Events
- On March 30, 2012, a representative from the ASSE Trenching Taskforce discussed trenching and excavation safety during an outreach event at Paulding County High School.
- On June 19, 2012, a representative from the ASSE Trenching Taskforce conducted a presentation focused on trenching and excavation safety for the Jesup Fire Department, in Jesup, Georgia.
Year Trenching fatality in Georgia
*Note: The May 2006 fatality in Byron, Georgia, is not included in this figure, because Federal OSHA does not have jurisdiction for public-sector employees in the state.
- Upcoming Milestones in FY 2013
Report Prepared by: Tom Bosley, Regional Alliance Coordinator
For more information, contact the Office of Outreach Services and Alliances at 202-693-2340 or go to OSHA.Back to Top