U.S. Department of Labor
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Mobile Area Office
1141 Montlimar Drive Suite 1006
Mobile, Al 36609
(251) 441-6131; Fax (251) 441-6396
Mobile OSHA Area Office
Alliance Annual Report
Alabama Struck by Alliance
June 6, 2008
April 16, 2003; addendum signed February 3, 2005; renewal signed March 11, 2005; addendum signed July 18, 2007; addendum signed January 28, 2008
OSHA, Alabama AGC, ARBA, Safe State, ALDOT, FHWA, 3M, Lamar and the Alabama T-2 Center are committed to sharing their collective expertise to help foster a culture of injury and illness prevention while sharing best practices and technical knowledge, especially in the area of work zone safety and "Struck By" hazards.
- On July 18, 2007, an addendum to the AL Struck-by Alliance was signed by Alabama Power.
- On January 28, 2008, an addendum to the AL Struck-by Alliance was signed by Public Employee Safety Council of Alabama (PESCA).
Implementation Team Memberships and Contributors
OSHA, Alabama - Association General Contractors of America (Alabama AGC), Alabama Road Builders Association (ARBA), Safe State of Alabama, Alabama Department of Transportation (ALDOT), The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), 3M Corporation (3M), Lamar Outdoor Advertising (Lamar) and the Auburn University - Alabama Technology Transfer Center (Alabama T-2 Center), Alabama Power and PESCA.
These meetings were conducted as scheduled on 7/18/07, 10/30/2007, 01/28/2008 and 02/21/2008.
May 1, 2007, through June 5, 2008
Events and Products
Training and Education
- A Manual Uniformed Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) Competent Person Training Course was conducted on March 11, 2008, in Mobile, AL, by the Construction Safety Council in cooperation with the AL Struck-by Alliance group in Mobile, AL. Approximately 30 employers and employees attended the training session.
- A Manual Uniformed Traffic Code MUTCD Competent Person Training Course was conducted on March 13, 2008, in Mobile, AL, by the Construction Safety Council in cooperation with the AL Struck-by Alliance group in Montgomery, AL. Approximately 45 employers and employees attended the training session.
- A Manual Uniformed Traffic Code MUTCD Competent Person Training Course was conducted on March 18, 2008, in Mobile, AL, by the Construction Safety Council in cooperation with the AL Struck-by Alliance group in Florence, AL. Approximately 15 employers and employees attended the training session.
- On April 18, 2008, the Alabama Struck-by Alliance group supported the Gulf Coast Construction Safety Conference in Mobile, Alabama. Over 360 employers and employees participated in the event, which featured free safety and health training, as well as exhibitors.
Outreach and Communication
- During FY08 Lamar Outdoor Signs provided the group with (13) billboards throughout the State, which promoted "work zone" safety. These billboards alerted an estimated 335,100 individuals to the importance of "work zone" safety and struck by hazards on a daily basis.
- On April 7, 2008, representatives from OSHA's Mobile Area Office participated in a local TV news interview focusing on work zone safety in Alabama, during National Work Zone Safety Week.
- The Alabama Struck-By Alliance developed a DVD to promoted work zone safety awareness to traveler across the State. The DVD is utilized (on television monitors) in rest areas throughout the Alabama. The DVD includes information a work zone hazards, the Struck-by Alliance, the State's efforts to reduce injuries and illnesses in the work zones, as well as data regarding highway accidents. A copy of the DVD was also provided to the Georgia Struck-by Alliance group for distribution.
Promoting the National Dialogue on Workplace Safety and Health
- During this period the group continued to effectively promote the Alliance agreement, as evidence by the addendums signed with Alabama Power and PESCA.
- April 2008 Alabama Power and the AL Struck-by Alliance group supported National Work Zone Safety Week by providing trash bags to traveling motorist across the state. The trash bags were distributed at rest area throughout Alabama and featured information about work zone safety.
Refer to the events list above.
Upcoming Milestones in FY 2008
- Continue to develop the "hazard assessment" for work zones in FY 2008.
- Participate in the "National Work Zone Week" in 2008.
- Continue to effectively promote the Alliance agreement and expand the group's membership.