|<< Back to Region IV
Report prepared by Joan M. Spencer, Compliance Assistance Specialist
June 12, 2008
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and the Associated
Builders and Contractors, Inc., Florida Gulf Coast Chapter (ABC Florida Gulf
Coast Chapter) agreed to establish an Alliance to reduce and prevent employee
exposure to health and safety hazards, such as, falls, trenching and excavation,
scaffolds, confined space, struck-by, chemical and electrical hazards in
construction by developing and sharing information, guidance, and training
Implementation Team Members
Tampa Area OSHA Area Office and the Associated Builders and Contractors, Inc.,
Florida Gulf Coast Chapter.
ABC’s Florida Gulf Coast Chapter Safety Steering Committee comprised of
community safety professionals from local companies, such as: Airite Air
Conditioning, Inc.; McEnany Roofing, Inc.; J.O. Delotto and Sons, Inc.; BCH
Mechanical, Inc.; Peter Brown Construction, Inc.; M.E. Wilson Company Insurance;
Bouchard Insurance; Bovis Lendlease, Inc.; Kalemeris Construction, Inc.;
Tri-City Electric, Inc.; Diversified Construction Safety, Inc.; and KHS & S
June 24, 2009 - June 23, 2010
Implementation Team Meetings
The Alliance group conducted monthly planning meeting on the following dates:
July 13, 2009; August 11, 2009; September 8, 2009; October 13, 2009; November
10, 2009; December 8, 2009; January 19, 2010; February 9, 2010; March 9, 2010;
April 13, 2010; May 11, 2010; and June 8, 2010.
Events and Products
Training and Education
- During this period, the ABC Florida Gulf Coast Chapter conducted a total of 22
classes addressing occupational safety and health issues covered by the
Alliance, such as, risk assessments, safety and health management systems, fall
protection, trenching, scaffolding and struck by hazards. Two of these safety
classes were conducted in Spanish.
- During this period the group conducted a total of five OSHA 10 or 30-Hour
Safety and Health training Courses. One of the courses was conducted in Spanish.
Outreach and Communication
- On June 24, 2009, the Alliance group conducted a two-hour workshop on safety
pays, insurance experience modification and risk assessments in construction.
Course participants were provided with sample calculations, the OSHA publication
“Small Business Handbook”, National Photo Archive CD, the OSHA Publication CD
and various OSHA Quickcards covering trenching safety, personal protective
equipment for construction, top for construction hazards, portable ladder safety
and fall protection.
- On October 27, 2009, an outreach program focused on "Safety and Health
Management Systems" was conducted. Bovis Lendlease, B&I Contractors and OSHA
provided outlines, tools and implementation guidelines for a safety and health
management system (SHMS). Participants were also provided with a packet
containing Tool Box Reviews for Construction, Region IV’s Fall Protection Tool
Box for Roofing and Carpentry, Safety and Health Management Systems Fact Sheet,
Work Zone Traffic Safety Fact Sheet, National Photo Archive CD, OSHA Publication
CD and various OSHA Quickcards covering safe driving practices, work zone
traffic, trenching safety, personal protective equipment for construction, top
for construction hazards, portable ladder safety and fall protection.
- On January 29, 2010, Bovis Lendlease and Peter Brown Construction, Inc.,
conducted a presentation on “Best Practices” for the construction industry.
Topics covered included fire prevention, fire safety, fall protection, trench
safety and other various safety issues. Packets distributed to participants
contained Tool Box Reviews for Construction, Region IV’s Fall Protection Tool
Box for Roofing and Carpentry and pictures of best practices.
- On March 12, 2010, the OSHA CAS, from the Tampa Area Office, conducted a
presentation on "Health Issues in Construction." Topics covered included
industrial hygiene for the safety professional, sampling strategies, noise,
lead, asbestos, hexavalent chromium, silica, cadmium and other chemicals.
Packets distributed to participants contained Tool Box Reviews for Construction,
Region IV’s Fall Protection Tool Box for Roofing and Carpentry, Quickcards for
lead, carbon monoxide, respiratory protection, silicosis, heat stress and PPE.
- On June 18, 2010, KHS&S, Peter Brown Construction, Inc., and OSHA conducted a
presentation on "How to Effectively Work with Non-English Speaking Personnel."
Packets distributed to participants contained Tool Box Reviews for Construction
(both English and Spanish), Spanish OSHA Poster, Spanish Quickcards and other
- The Alliance also assisted in the distribution of safety & health outreach
material such as the Region IV Photo and Struck-by CDs, Tool Box Reviews, MAD IV
Roofing and Carpentry Toolbox Reviews, OSHA Quick Cards, Region IV Newsletter
and information on the Florida Crane Alliance trainings.
1Promoting the National Dialogue on Workplace Safety and Health
- Links to various OSHA Webpages are now displayed on the ABC Gulf Coast
Chapter’s Website. The Region IV newsletter is also linked through their best
- On August 24, 2009, the Alliance was promoted during the Florida Parks and
Recreation Conference in Orlando where representatives from national supply
- On September 11, 2009, the Alliance was promoted during the DOL Employment
Compliant Forum held in Orlando, FL.
- October 31 - November 2, 2009, the Alliance was promoted during the Hispanic
Colleges and University Association National Conference held in Orlando, FL.
- On January 28, 2010, the Alliance was promoted during the KPA National
Conference for Safety Engineers held in Orlando, FL.
- On March 20 -23, 2010, the Alliance was promoted during the American Foundry
Society National Conference in Orlando, FL, which was attended by
representatives from several national and international companies.
- The Alliance is promoted during all University of South Florida OSHA Training
Institute construction courses conducted in the Orlando and Tampa areas. The
courses attract attendees from all over the country.
- The ABC Florida Gulf Coast Chapter Alliance was promoted during several OSHA
outreach presentations conducted throughout Central Florida.
|Type of Activity (Conference, Training, Print and
Electronic Distribution, etc.)
||Number Reached or Trained
|OSHA 10 Hour Course
|OSHA 30 Hour Course
|Safety and health management
|Rigging and Material Handling
|Small Business Handbook
|Region IV Construction Toolbox
|Region IV MAD IV Fall Protection Toolbox
|Various OSHA Quick Cards and Fact Sheets
|National Photo Archive CD
|OSHA Publication CD
|Guidance on Preparing Workplaces for an Influenza Pandemic
- Continue to partner with University of South Florida OTI Ed Center.
- Continue to encourage small businesses in Central Florida to develop and
implement effective Safety and Health Management Systems (SHMS).
- Continue to promote the ABC Florida Gulf Coast Chapter Alliance in the West
Central Florida Area and Nationally.
- Continue and expand safety and health training for construction workers.
- Continued to work with community safety professionals to ensure the effective
delivery of safety and health outreach services to employers that need
For more information, contact the Office of Outreach Services and Alliances at
202-693-2340 or go to OSHA's Website.
1During each presentations the benefits of working cooperatively with OSHA was shared with a national audience.
Alliance members also discussed the achievements of the group, such as providing effective safety and health
training to worker in the construction industry.