AGREEMENT RENEWING AN ALLIANCE
THE U.S. DEPARTMENT OF LABOR'S
OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND HEALTH ADMINISTRATION
BIRMINGHAM AREA OFFICE
ASSOCIATED BUILDERS AND CONTRACTORS OF ALABAMA, INC. - NORTH
The U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Birmingham Area Office, and the Associated Builders and Contractors, Inc. – North Alabama Chapter (hereinafter referred to collectively as the ABC – North AL Chapter Alliance) continue to recognize the value of maintaining a collaborative relationship to foster safer and more healthful American workplaces. To that end, OSHA and the ABC – North AL Chapter Alliance hereby renew the Alliance signed August 20, 2014, with a continued emphasis on the construction industry. Specifically, OSHA and the ABC – North AL Chapter are committed to providing ABC – North AL Chapter members and others with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help them protect the health and safety of workers and to help them understand the rights and responsibilities of employers and workers under the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSH Act). Through the Alliance, the organizations will continue to address construction industry hazards, such as falls, electrocution, struck-by and caught-in-between, and emphasis will be placed on effectively communicating adequate protection regarding these types of hazards to the hard-to-reach groups, such as small businesses.
This renewal agreement provides a framework and objectives for the Alliance's activities. Alliance participants can summarize specific activities and timeframes for completion in a written work plan.
Through the Alliance, the organizations will use relevant injury, illness, and hazard exposure data when appropriate to help identify areas of emphasis for Alliance awareness, outreach, and communication activities. The Alliance will also explore and implement selected options to evaluate the effectiveness of the Alliance and measure the impact of its overall effort on improving workplace safety for employers and workers. In renewing this Alliance, OSHA and the ABC – North AL Chapter Alliance participants recognize that OSHA’s State Plan and On-site Consultation Project partners are an integral part of the OSHA national effort, and that information about the products and activities of the Alliance may be shared with these partners for the advancement of common goals.
Raising Awareness of OSHA’s Rulemaking and Enforcement Initiatives
The Participants intend to work together to achieve the following goals related to raising awareness of OSHA’s rulemaking and enforcement initiatives:
- To share information on OSHA’s National/Regional/Local Emphasis Programs, Regulatory Agenda, and opportunities to participate in the rulemaking process.
- To share information on occupational safety and health laws and standards, including the rights and responsibilities of workers and employers.
- To encourage worker participation in workplace safety and health by sharing information on best practices as agreed upon by OSHA and the ABC – North AL Chapter.
Training and Education
The Participants will work together to achieve the following training and education goal:
- To develop effective training and education programs for ABC – North AL Chapter members and others regarding the prevention of fall, electrocution, struck-by and caught-in-between related hazards, and to communicate such information to constituent employers and workers.
- To deliver or arrange for the delivery of safety and health training focused on the prevention of fall, electrocution, struck-by and caught-in-between related hazards.
Outreach and Communication
The Participants intend to work together to achieve the following outreach and communication goals:
- To develop information on the recognition and prevention of workplace hazards, and to develop ways of communicating such information (e.g., print and electronic media, electronic assistance tools, and OSHA’s and the ABC – North AL Chapter’s Web sites) to employers and workers in the industry.
- To speak, exhibit, or appear at OSHA’s or ABC – North AL Chapter’s conferences, local meetings, or other events, such as the quarterly safety summit meetings held by the ABC – North AL Chapter.
- To share information among OSHA personnel and industry safety and health professionals regarding the ABC – North AL Chapter good practices or effective approaches through training programs, workshops, seminars, and lectures (or any other applicable forum) developed by the participants.
- Promote and encourage ABC – North AL Chapter members participation in cooperative programs such as compliance assistance and VPP; and
OSHA's Alliances provide parties an opportunity to participate in a voluntary cooperative relationship with OSHA for purposes such as raising awareness of OSHA's rulemaking and enforcement initiatives, training and education, and outreach and communication. These Alliances have proved to be valuable tools for both OSHA and its Alliance participants. By entering into an Alliance with a party, OSHA is not endorsing or promoting, nor does it intend to endorse or promote, any of that party's products or services.
An implementation team made up of representatives of each participating organization will meet to develop a plan of action, determine working procedures, and identify the roles and responsibilities of the Participants. In addition, they will meet at least two times per year to track and to share information on activities and results in achieving the goals of the Alliance. OSHA team members will include representatives of the Birmingham Area Office and any other appropriate offices. OSHA will encourage State Plan States’ and OSHA On-site Consultation Projects’ participation on the team.
This agreement will remain in effect for five years from the date of signing. Any signatory may terminate it for any reason at any time, provided they give 30 days written notice to the other participants. This agreement may be modified at any time with the written concurrence of all signatories.
Signed this 28th day of September, 2016.
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Birmingham Area Office
Associated Builders and Contractors, Inc.
North Alabama Chapter
Chairman of the Board
Associated Builders and Contractors, Inc.
North Alabama Chapter