U.S. Department of Labor
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Birmingham Area Office
950 22nd Street North, Suite 1050
Birmingham, AL 35203
(205) 731-1534; Fax (205) 731-0504
ANNUAL ASSOCIATED BUILDERS AND CONTRACTORS (ABC) OF ALABAMA, INC.
January 21, 2009
- Alliance Background
August 24, 2006
The purpose of the Alliance is to provide ABC-AL members and others in the construction industry with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help them protect workers' health and safety, by reducing and preventing exposure to hazards such as falls, cave-ins, struck-by and silica by providing employers and workers with assistance and knowledge regarding OSHA requirements and developing an effective safety and health management system. The Alliance allows for an OSHA library at the ABC facility for the use of members.
Implementation Team Members
- Jay Reed
- ABC President
- Virginia G. Ames
- Birmingham OSHA CAS; and the ABC Safety Committee
- Implementation Team Meetings
Group met January 25, 2008, at ABC facility.
Group met February 15, 2008, at ABC facility.
Group met March 28, 2008, at ABC facility.
Group met June 27, 2008, at ABC facility.
Group met August 2, 2008, at the Foundry (local outreach rehab facility).
Group met September 5, 2008, at ABC facility.
Group met October 3, 2008, at ABC facility.
Group met November 14, 2008, at ABC facility.
- Activities and Products
January 2008 to December 2008
Training and Education
- OSHA materials distributed to the ABC library and the facility was promoted to ABC members during several OSHA 10-hour classes, as well as other training events.
Outreach and Communication
- ABC Members (and visitors to the meetings) were encouraged to visit the library during ABC committee meetings.
- The library was expanded to include an area for Mine Safety and Health (MSHA) materials.
- Alabama Power provided a demonstration of power line safety and provided publications for the library.
Promoting the National Dialogue on Safety and Health
- An OSHA update was provided at all committee meetings to share current information on occurrences, goals, and mission of OSHA.
- The ABC Committee was very active during the evaluation period. Additionally, the group's leadership encouraged members use the resources provided in the library and the members were very responsive.
The library has been a success as indicated by the materials removed from the library and the request for more from the ABC President.
Type of Activity (Conference, Training, Print and Electronic Distribution, etc.) Number of Individuals Reached or Trained Committee meeting - Jan 25 20 Committee meeting - Feb 15 15 Committee meeting - Mar 28 15 Committee meeting - Jun 27 20 Committee meeting - Aug 1 30 Committee meeting - Sep 5 22 Committee meeting - Oct 3 24 Committee meeting - Nov 14 25 Total 171
- Upcoming Milestones
The Alliance will continue in the future. Use of the library has been excellent. Members and prospective members of ABC have expressed less fear of contacting OSHA for assistance, since the implementation of the library and the involvement of the CAS on the ABC Safety Committee.
Report Prepared by: Virginia G. Ames, CAS
For more information, contact the Office of Outreach Services and Alliances at 202-6932340 or go to OSHA.