Back to Concluded Regional Alliances - Region III
- Alliance Background
July 2, 2008
OSHA and MANTEC established an Alliance to provide Small to Medium size Enterprise (SME) employers and others with information, guidance and access to training resources that will help them protect employees' health and safety, particularly in reducing and preventing exposure to hazards impacting those south central Pennsylvania employers who comply with the General Industry standards
Implementation Team Members
OSHA Members: Kevin G. Kilp, Area Director
Dale Glacken, Compliance Assistance Specialist
MANTEC Members: Kent Keller, Human Resource Management Specialist.
- Implementation Team Meetings
July 2009 through present – Numerous contacts (telephone conference calls and e-mail exchanges) were made to prepare for events this year. We set up 2 events this year, one for August 2009 at the Franklin County Career Technical Center and a second for May 2010 in York, PA.
- Activities and Products
July 2, 2009 thru July 2, 2010.
- Training and Education
1. On August 26, 2009, MANTEC, Foundry men's Industry Partnership and the Workforce Investment Board (WIB), hosted a 3 Hour, OSHA Update session. During the session, the Harrisburg Area Office Compliance Assistance Specialist (CAS) demonstrated and allowed attendees to use the OSHA 29 Code of Federal Regulation (CFR) to find safety rules related to their respective industries, discuss personnel and policy changes in OSHA, review how to navigate through OSHA’s website, discuss where OSHA is finding hazards in industry and reviewed inspection targeting programs used by OSHA. The session was held at the Franklin County Career and Technical Center in Chambersburg, Pennsylvania and was attended by 37 participants.
2. On May 19, 2010 MANTEC offered employers in the York area an opportunity to participate in a 3 and a half hour event, titled: OSHA: Advantages and Opportunities. The event was held at Komax Solar, York PA. The CAS discussed a variety of topics: The OSHA Inspection Process, recordkeeping, OSHA inspection targeting, fall protection requirements for general industry, changing OSHA leadership and initiatives, reviewed the CAS Tools from the OSHA webpage, discussed the various safety resources for Hispanic employees and the OSHA Cooperative Alliance Programs. 25 participants attended the event.
- Outreach and Communication
MANTEC has devoted a portion of their public web page to Environmental Health and Safety issues. Tools on the web page include: OSHA Assessments, OSHA Training Requirements, General Industry standards, most frequently cited OSHA standards, and safety committee certification. Many of these tools link directly to OSHA's web page.
Safety articles are printed and distributed to MANTEC's membership in the "Delivers" a MANTEC publication. The information is also available on the MANTEC website.
- Promoting the National Dialogue on Workplace Safety and Health
Training and Education
Outreach and Communication
Promoting the National Dialogue on Workplace Safety and Health
This was the second year for the alliance. Attendees at the sessions had a much better understanding of how OSHA works, a basic understanding on how to identify safety hazards, how to identify safety rules that pertain to them, how to obtain help from OSHA with their safety programs (Duty Officers, consultation and the OSHA web page).
Type of Activity (Conference, Training, Print and Electronic Distribution, etc.)
Number of Individuals Reached or Trained
OSHA Update Session
- Upcoming Milestones
1. We have scheduled an end of year session for Dec 14, 2010, titled: "OSHA-Code of Federal Regulations". During the session we will do a hands on overview of the General Industry standards, review inspection priorities, provide regulatory updates, navigate through OSHA’s website and discuss where OSHA is finding deficiencies.
2. Another session, "OSHA-Advantages and Opportunities" will be conducted on May 17, 2011 as a half day workshop. We will discuss how safety works to sustain productivity and safeguard a manufacturer’s most prized asset, the workforce.
This annual report also serves as the close out report for the Mantec Alliance.
Report Prepared by: Dale Glacken, CAS HAO as of July 2, 2010.
For more information, contact the Office of Outreach Services and Alliances at 202-693-2340 or go to www.osha.gov.