Chemical Reactivity Hazards Management Alliance
(signed March 30, 2004; addendum signed January 5, 2006; concluded March 30, 2007)
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
- American Chemistry Council (ACC)
- Center for Chemical Process Safety (CCPS)
- Chlorine Institute, Inc. (CI)
- Mary Kay O'Connor Process Safety Center
- National Association of Chemical Distributors (NACD)
- Synthetic Organic Chemical Manufacturers Association (SOCMA)
Through the Alliance, OSHA and Chemical Reactivity Hazards Management Alliance will work together to provide their members, customers, contacts and others involved in the manufacture, distribution, use and storage of chemicals with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help them protect communities and employees' health and safety through better identification and management of chemical reactivity hazards (CRH). The Alliance's goals include:
Training and education
- Jointly develop and deliver training addressing chemical reactivity hazards, to be delivered in conferences, meetings, OSHA Training Institute (OTI) Education Centers, or through distance learning.
Outreach and communication
- Develop and disseminate information through print and electronic media, including electronic assistance tools and links from OSHA's and the signatories' web sites.
- Collaborate with other Alliances on specific issues and projects on the identification and management of chemical reactivity hazards that are addressed and developed through the Alliance Program.
Promoting the national dialogue on workplace safety and health
- Convene or participate in forums, round table discussions, or stakeholder meetings on chemical reactivity hazards to help forge innovative solutions in the workplace or to provide input on safety and health issues.
Alliance Annual Reports
- Alliance Annual Report 2004-2005, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Annual Report 2005-2006, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Close-Out Report as of April 19, 2007.
Alliance News Releases
- ACS Added to OSHA and Chemical Reactivity Hazards Management Alliance. OSHA National News Release, (2006, January 5).
- OSHA Debuts Safety and Health Page on Chemical Reactivity Hazards. OSHA News Release, (2004, December 9).
- OSHA forms Alliance with EPA and Six Chemical Organizations. OSHA News Release, (2004, March 30).
Products and Resources
OSHA Safety and Health Topics Pages
Publications and Newsletters
- Process Safety Beacons. The Center for Chemical Process Safety (CCPS) published the following
articles on chemical reactivity hazards in its Process Safety Beacon newsletter.
- (2003, January): "Reactive Chemistry: Note Always When or Where You Want It"
- (2003, August): "Simply Mixing Chemicals Can Be Hazardous to Your Health"
- (2004, December): "Bhopal: A Tragic Event"
- (2005, March): "Tower Top Rockets Off"
- (2005, August): "Toxic Reaction in Sewer is Fatal"
- (2006, January): "Time Sensitive Chemicals--And Sharing Lessons"
- (2006, July): "Do You Have Storage Pallets That Look Like This?" Do You Have Storage Pallets That Look Like This?"
- CCPS Alliance page
- Alliance to Identify and Manage Chemical Reactivity Hazards (PPT). Presentation given by Dorothy Kellogg, Senior Director, Security and Operations, American Chemistry Council, to the annual Texas Chemical Council and Association of Chemical Industry of Texas Environmental, Health and Safety Seminar on June 7, 2004 at the Moody Gardens Hotel in Galveston, Texas.