|<< Back to Process Safety Alliance
- November 20, 2008: Synthetic Organic Chemical Manufacturers Association
"Combustible Dust 2" Webinar.
- Dr. Vahid Ebadat, Chilworth Laboratories gave a presentation on combustible
dust assessment, conditions in which dust explosions can occur and ventilation
methods to prevent dust build-up; and Guy R. Colonna, P.E., Assistant Vice
President, Fire Protection Applications and Chemical Engineering, National Fire
Protection Association (NFPA), gave a presentation on NFPA standards that deal
with dust collection methods, explosion issues, and controlling dust build-up
during the Webinar.
- October 20-26, 2008:
2008 Drug-Free Work Week. The Synthetic Organic Chemical Manufacturers
Association and a number of other Alliance Program participants supported the
2008 Drug-Free Work Week. Sponsored annually by the U.S. Department of Labor's
Working Partners for an Alcohol- and Drug-Free Workplace Program, the Week
focused on educating employers, employees and the public about the importance of
being drug-free as an essential component of a safe and healthful workplace.
- July 31, 2008: Synthetic Organic Chemical Manufacturers Association "Combustible Dust" Webinar.
- Sanji Kanth, Safety Engineer, Office of General Industry Enforcement, Directorate of Enforcement Programs, USDOL-OSHA,
gave a presentation on OSHA regulatory and enforcement activities involving combustible dust; and Harry White, Personal Safety
Technology Leader, The Dow Chemical Company, gave a presentation on combustible dust best practices from an industry perspective during the Webinar.
- June 24, 2008: CCPS Technical Steering Committee Web Conference, CCPS
Corporate Headquarters, New York, New York. Lisa Long, Chemical Engineer,
Office of General Industry Enforcement, Directorate of Enforcement Programs,
USDOL-OSHA, presented "OSHA Update: Proposed National Emphasis Program (NEP) on
Petroleum Refining, Chemical Industry, and Combustible Dust" during the
- May 4-10, 2008:
2008 North American Occupational Safety and Health (NAOSH) Week. The Synthetic Organic
Chemical Manufacturers Association and the Center for Chemical Process Safety and a number of
other Alliance Program participants supported 2008 NAOSH Week, "Safety is Good Business."
Sponsored annually by the American Society of Safety Engineers and the Canadian Society of Safety
Engineering, the Week focuses on the importance of preventing injuries and illnesses in the
- April 7-9, 2008: American Institute of Chemical Engineers Fourth Global Congress on
Process Safety, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- April 7, 2008: Mark R. Briggs, Area Director, Region VI, Houston South, Texas Area Office,
USDOL-OSHA, gave the keynote presentation at the conference.
- April 2008-August 2008: Chemical Reactivity Hazards: Laboratory and Pilot Scale Recognition
and Control Workshop. The American Chemical Society (ACS) Division of Chemical Health and Safety
developed the workshop through the OSHA and Process Safety Alliance to provide participants with
the knowledge and skill to screen processes for potential hazards, recognize when reactive hazards
are present, and implement appropriate controls to reduce the risk of an incident associated with
chemical reactivity hazards in laboratories and pilot plants. ACS representative, Neal Langerman,
Ph.D., Advanced Chemical Safety, is presenting the workshop throughout the United States during