<< Back to Concluded Alliances
(signed June 7, 2004; concluded June 7, 2006)
(Seated left to right) Bruce N. Scholnick, President and CEO, NWPCA, OSHA's then-Assistant Secretary of Labor, John Henshaw, and Dr. John Howard, Director, NIOSH, sign the OSHA/NWPCA/NIOSH Alliance.
(Seated left to right) Bruce N. Scholnick, NWPCA, OSHA's then-Assistant Secretary, John Henshaw, and Dr. John Howard, NIOSH, sign the OSHA/NWPCA/NIOSH Alliance as Steve Geiges, NWPCA, Chairman of the Board-Elect and Pat Sherry, NWPCA, Chairman of the Board look on.
Through the Alliance, OSHA, NWPCA and NIOSH will provide NWPCA's members and others with
information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help them protect employees' safety. The
Alliance will focus on reducing and preventing exposure to hazards associated with use of pallet assembly and
disassembly equipment and powered industrial trucks, and addressing occupational health issues, including ergonomics.
The Alliance's goals include:
Training and education:
- Develop and implement training and education programs on equipment safety with a focus on accident prevention, including amputations.
Outreach and communication:
- Prepare NWPCA job safety analysis modules with OSHA and NIOSH input for the safe use of pallet dismantling equipment
commonly used in the wooden pallet and container industry.
- Share information on best practices, as jointly determined by OSHA, NIOSH and NWPCA, of NWPCA members' worksites with
others in the industry and publicize the results through outreach by NWPCA and through OSHA-, NIOSH- or NWPCA-developed
training programs and materials.
- Work with other Alliance participants on specific issues and projects on equipment safety, occupational health and
ergonomics that are addressed and developed through the Alliance Program.
Promoting the national dialogue on workplace safety and health:
- Raise others' awareness of and demonstrate their own commitment to workplace safety and health whenever NWPCA leaders address groups.
- Develop and disseminate case studies illustrating the business value of safety and health and publicize their results.
Alliance Annual Reports
Alliance News Releases
Activities and Events
- September 18, 2004: 2004 Recycle and Repair Conference and Exposition, Millennium Hotel, St.
- Francis Yebesi, Team Leader, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances, USDOL-OSHA, gave a
presentation on OSHA's Cooperative Programs to 200 attendees.