National Utility Contractors Association (NUCA)
(signed December 06, 2004; concluded December 6, 2006)
Through the OSHA and NUCA Alliance, the organizations will work together to provide NUCA's members and others with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help them protect employees' health and safety. The Alliance focuses on reducing and preventing exposure to underground utility construction hazards associated with trenching and excavation, tunneling, and confined space entry. The agreement's goals include:
Training and education
- Deliver or arrange for the delivery of NUCA training programs (e.g. Excavation Safety, Competent Person and Confined Space) to OSHA staff, including those offered in Spanish.
- Work with OSHA to provide expertise to develop training and education programs on utility construction such as a 10-hour outreach program with emphasis on trench and excavation safety. NUCA will provide instructors as needed.
Outreach and communication
Share information among OSHA personnel and industry safety and health professionals regarding NUCA's best
practices or effective approaches and publicize results through outreach by NUCA and through OSHA- or NUCA-
developed materials, training programs, workshops, seminars, and lectures.
- Work with OSHA to provide expertise to create a trenching and excavations and a confined spaces
compliance assistance information card and fact sheet in both English and Spanish.
- Encourage NUCA's members to act as mentors to utility contractors who need guidance and assistance with safety and health issues to improve safety performance within the underground utility industry.
Promoting the national dialogue on workplace safety and health
- Convene or participate in forums, round table discussions, or stakeholder meetings on underground utility construction hazards associated with trenching and excavation, tunneling, and confined space entry to help forge innovative solutions in the workplace.
- Agreement signed December 6, 2004.
Alliance Annual Reports
- Alliance Annual Report 2004-2005, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Annual Report 2004-2005, Addendum, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Close-out Report as of December 6, 2006.
Alliance News Releases
- OSHA Forms Alliance with the National Utility Contractors Association. OSHA News Release, (2004, December 6).
Products and Resources
- 10 Hour Construction Outreach Training Program focusing on Trenching and Excavation. The 10 Hour Construction Outreach Training Program focusing on Trenching and Excavation is a product of the OSHA and National Utility Contractors Association Alliance. Representatives from the association worked with OSHA to develop a program that emphasizes hazard identification, avoidance, and control - not standards for workers performing trenching and excavation.
OSHA Safety and Health Topics Pages
Publications and Newsletters
- Utility Contractor. (2005, January). NUCA's January 2005 edition of its monthly publication includes an article, "NUCA, OSHA Form Alliance" that describes the December 6, 2005 Alliance signing and the goals of the agreement.
- NUCA SafetyNews. (2006, May/June). NUCA's May/June 2006 edition of its bi-monthly safety newsletter includes an article, "Safety Starts at the Design Phase," that uses material from the Design for Construction Safety Web site which was developed by the OSHA Alliance Program Construction Roundtable.
- State of New Mexico, New Mexico Occupational Health and Safety Bureau with National Utility Contractors of New Mexico signed (2003, December 18).