|<< Back to National Maritime Safety Association
- October 20-26, 2008:
2008 Drug-Free Work Week. The National Maritime Safety Association and a
number of other Alliance Program participants supported the 2008 Drug-Free Work
Week. Sponsored annually by the U.S. Department of Labor's
Working Partners for an Alcohol- and Drug-Free Workplace Program, the Week
focused on educating employers, employees and the public about the importance
of being drug-free as an essential component of a safe and healthful workplace.
- June 17, 2008: NMSA Technical Committee Meeting, Long Beach, California.
Jack Reich, Compliance Safety and Health Officer, Region IX, Oakland,
California Area Office, USDOL-OSHA, presented "Hazards in the Maritime Industry
and OSHA Update" during the meeting.
- March 26-28, 2008: NMSA Annual Meeting, San Diego, California.
- March 28, 2008: Alan Traenkner, Director, Analysis and Evaluation, Region
IX, San Francisco, California Area Office, USDOL-OSHA, presented "OSHA Update
and Alliances" during the meeting.
- June 27-28, 2007: NMSA Annual Meeting, Seattle, Washington.
- June 28, 2007: Amanda Edens, Deputy Director, Directorate of Standards
and Guidance, USDOL-OSHA; Charles Lemon, Safety and Health Professional,
Washington State Department of Labor and Industries; James Thornton,
Chairperson, Maritime Advisory Committee on Occupational Safety and Health (MACOSH)
and John Cushing, Commander, United States Coast Guard; participated in a
"Safety Leadership from the Government Perspective" panel discussion.
Approximately 150 people attended.
- June 28, 2007: Richard Terrill, Regional Administrator, Region X, Seattle, Washington
Regional Office, USDOL-OSHA, made a presentation and provided the meeting attendees with an OSHA
- March 14-15, 2007: NMSA Technical Committee Meeting, Houston, Texas.
- March 14, 2007: Roger Banaitis, Safety and Health Manager, Region VI, Dallas, Texas Regional
Office, USDOL-OSHA, updated 30 attendees on the powered industrial truck standards (e.g.
forklifts) along with the marine terminal/longshoring enforcement programs.
- September 13-14, 2006: NMSA Technical Committee Meeting, Vancouver, Washington.
- September 13, 2006: Carl Halgren, Director, Region X, Portland, Oregon
Area Office, USDOL-OSHA, updated the committee on the OSHA Alliance Program
and activities of the OSHA and NMSA Alliance.
- June 21-23, 2006: NMSA Annual Meeting, Charleston, South Carolina.
- June 22, 2006: Jim Maddux, then-Director, Office of Maritime Standards,
Directorate of Enforcement Programs, USDOL-OSHA, made a presentation and
discussed OSHA concerns regarding marine cargo handling facilities.
- June 23, 2006: Edwin G. Foulke, Jr., former-Assistant Secretary, USDOL-OSHA, gave a presentation on
the OSHA Alliance Program. Following his speech, Mr. Foulke signed the OSHA and NMSA Alliance