|<< National Chicken Council (NCC) and
National Turkey Federation (NTF)
On January 6, 2005, OSHA and National Chicken Council (NCC)/National Turkey Federation (NTF) formed an Alliance to use their collective expertise to promote safe and healthy working conditions in the poultry industry by sharing best practices and technical knowledge on safety and health issues, including how to reduce and prevent exposure to ergonomic hazards associated with poultry processing.
Because the NCC and NTF have decided to focus on other projects and priorities, OSHA, NCC and NTF agreed to conclude the Alliance as of January 6, 2007 and to develop a new Alliance focusing on machine guarding and lockout/tagout issues in the poultry processing industry.
A number of successes resulted from OSHA, NCC and NTF working together to meet the Alliance’s goals, including:
- On November 1, 2006 at NCC and NTF Safety and Health Committee Meeting in Atlanta, Georgia. Jonathan Worrell, Compliance Assistant Specialist, Region IV, Atlanta, Georgia East Area Office, USDOL-OSHA, gave a presentation on OSHA’s Hexavalent Chromium Standard.
- On June 30, 2005, at NCC and NTF Safety and Health Committee Meeting in Atlanta, Georgia. Jonathan Worrell, Compliance Assistant Specialist, Region IV, Atlanta, Georgia, East Area Office, USDOL-OSHA, gave a presentation on OSHA’s cooperative programs, including the Alliance Program, Strategic Partnerships and the Voluntary Protection Programs.
- During National Safety Conference for the Poultry Industry, May 31-June 2, 2005 in Ponte Verda Beach, Florida., OSHA staff participated in the following activities:
- May 31, 2005: Joseph Roesler, Compliance Assistance Specialist, Region IV, Jacksonville, Florida Area Office, USDOL-OSHA, gave an update on OSHA’s Strategic Enforcement Plan.
- June 2, 2005: David Wylie, a Partner at Jackson Lewis, and a member of the OSHA, NCC and NTF Alliance implementation team, gave an update on OSHA’s Compliance, Enforcement and Outreach Policy, including the Alliance Program.
- On May 16, 2005: Perdue Farms Corporation Safety and Health Professional Development Conference, Ocean City, Maryland. Frank Cruice, Corporate Director, Safety and Security, Perdue Farms, Inc., gave a presentation that included an update on the OSHA and NCC/NTF Alliance to approximately 40 safety and health professionals.
Report prepared by: Rob Swick, Alliance Coordinator, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances, April 12, 2007