Graphic Arts Coalition (GAC)
(signed June 18, 2002, July 1, 2002; renewed February 9, 2004; renewed July 31, 2006; concluded June 18, 2008)
The Graphic Arts Coalition (GAC), formerly called the Printing Industry Alliance is renewing its Alliance. The GAC is comprised of the four following associations:
- Printing Industries of America (PIA)/Graphic Arts Technical Foundation (GATF)
- Specialty Graphic Imaging Association (SGIA)
- Flexographic Technical Association (FTA)
- Gravure Association of America (GAA)
Through the Alliance, OSHA and the organizations will provide GAC members and others with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help them protect employees' health and safety, particularly in addressing ergonomics, hazard communication, machine guarding and lockout/tagout issues. Goals of the Alliance include:
Outreach and communication
- Work with OSHA to provide expertise in developing information on the recognition and prevention of workplace hazards, and to provide expertise in developing ways of communicating such information (e.g. print and electronic media, electronic assistance tools and OSHA's and the GAC's Web sites) to employers and employees in the industry.
- Speak, exhibit, or appear at OSHA's or GAC's conferences, local meetings, or other events.
- Promote and encourage GAC members' or worksites' participation in OSHA's cooperative programs such as compliance assistance, the Voluntary Protection Programs (VPP), and the Consultation Program and its Safety and Health Achievement Recognition Program (SHARP).
Promoting the national dialogue on workplace safety and health
- Develop and disseminate case studies illustrating the business value of safety and health and publicize their results.
- Agreement signed June 18, 2002.
- Addendum to the Agreement signed July 10, 2002.
- Renewal Agreement signed February 9, 2004.
- Renewal Agreement signed July 31, 2006.
Alliance Annual Reports
- Alliance Annual Report 2002-2003, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Annual Report 2003-2004, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Annual Report 2004-2005, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Annual Report 2005-2006, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Annual Report 2006-2007, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Close-out Report as of June 18, 2008.
Alliance News Releases
- New OSHA case study highlights benefits of comprehensive safety and health program. OSHA News Release, (2007, July 17).
- OSHA, ASSE, CSSE and Industry Groups Team Up to Increase Job Safety for North American Occupational Safety and Health Week. OSHA News Release, (2007, May 4).
- OSHA Adds Screen Printing Module to Printing Industry Ergonomics eTool. OSHA News Release, (2006, November 20).
- OSHA, Graphic Arts Coalition Continue Alliance. OSHA News Release, (2006, October 10).
- OSHA Adds Flexography Module to Printing Industry Ergonomics eTool. OSHA News Release, (2006, August 28).
- OSHA Unveils New Printing Industry Ergonomics eTool. OSHA News Release, (2006, March 14).
- Renewed FTA, OSHA Allegiance Continues Flexo Safety Goals. FTA Press Release, (2004, February 17).
- OSHA, Graphics Arts Coalition Renew Alliance. OSHA News Release, (2004, February 9).
- Alliance with Printing/Graphic Arts Industries Moving Forward. OSHA QuickTakes (2002, November 15).
- OSHA Signs Alliance with Printing, Graphic Arts Industries. OSHA News Release, (2002, June 18).
Products and Resources
OSHA Safety and Health Topics Pages
- Ritrama Invests in Safety and Improves Its Bottom Line. OSHA, (2007, June). Ritrama Invests in Safety and Improves Its Bottom Line. Ritrama, a multi-national corporation, designed and implemented a safety and health program to educate the managers, supervisors and employees about safe work practices and company-specific procedures at its manufacturing plant in Minneapolis, Minnesota. As a result of the program, the company reduced its workers' compensation premiums, increased productivity and product quality, and improved its employee recruitment and retention.
- Region II, Marlton, New Jersey Area Office Alliance with the Graphic Arts Association signed October 10, 2006.
- Printing Industries of America Page
- Specialty Graphic Imaging Association (SGIA) and DOL Establish Partnership to Promote Awareness of Labor Laws. OPA News Release, (2004, August 3). The Specialty Graphic Imaging Association and the USDOL established a Partnership for Compliance Assistance under the Department's new Partnership for Compliance Assistance Program.