American Pyrotechnics Association (APA)
(signed June 9, 2004; renewed June 22, 2006; concluded June 9, 2008)
Through the Alliance, OSHA and APA will provide APA members, OSHA personnel, and others, including small businesses, with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help them protect employees' health and safety. In particular, the Alliance focuses on reducing and preventing accidents involving the manufacturing, transportation, storage, sale, and handling of commercial display fireworks and consumer fireworks and the use of commercial display fireworks. The Alliance agreement's goals include:
Outreach and communication
- Work with OSHA to provide expertise to OSHA in developing information on the recognition and prevention of workplace hazards, and to provide ways of communicating such information (e.g. print and electronic media, electronic assistance tools and links from OSHA's and APA's Web sites) to employers and employees in the industry.
- Speak, exhibit, or appear at OSHA or APA events such as APA's Winter Educational Conference, Fall Annual Meeting, local meetings, or other events.
- Promote and encourage APA members' or worksites participation in OSHA's cooperative programs such as compliance assistance, the Voluntary Protection Programs, and the Consultation Program and its Safety and Health Achievement Recognition Program.
- Share information among OSHA personnel and industry safety and health professionals regarding APA's best practices or effective approaches and publicize results through outreach by APA and through OSHA- or APA-developed materials, training programs, workshops, seminars, and lectures (or any other applicable forum).
Promoting the national dialogue on workplace safety and health
- Develop and disseminate case studies illustrating the business value of safety and health and publicize their results.
- Convene or participate in forums, round table discussions, or stakeholder meetings on safety and health issues to help forge innovative solutions in the workplace or to provide input on safety and health issues.
Alliance Annual Reports
- Alliance Annual Report 2004-2005, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Annual Report 2005-2006, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Annual Report 2006-2007, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Close-Out Report as of June 9, 2008.
Alliance News Releases
- OSHA, American Pyrotechnics Association Renew Alliance. OSHA News Release, (2006, June 22).
- OSHA Offers Pocket Card on Fireworks Safety. OSHA News Release, (2005, June 10).
- OSHA Unveils New Web Pages on Fireworks Safety. OSHA News Release, (2004, June 28).
- American Pyrotechnics Association Joins OSHA in Alliance. OSHA News Release, (2004, June 9).
- APA remarks by Julie L. Heckman, Executive Director, on signing the OSHA and APA Alliance.
Products and Resources
- Fireworks Safety, Display Operators (PDF). This poster is a product of the OSHA/APA Alliance.
- Fireworks Safety, Retail Fireworks Sales (PDF). This poster is a product of the OSHA/APA Alliance.
OSHA Safety and Health Topics Pages
- Fireworks Safety Pocket Card (PDF). One side of OSHA's card addresses Fireworks Retail Sales Operations and the other side addresses Fireworks Display Site Operators. Each side of the card contains ten safety tips for employers and employees in the pyrotechnics industry. The card was developed with assistance from the APA.