Cranes & Derricks in Construction
Moving large, heavy loads is crucial to today's manufacturing and construction industries. Much technology has been developed for these operations, including careful training and extensive workplace precautions. There are significant safety issues to be considered, both for the operators of the diverse "lifting" devices, and for workers in proximity to them. This page is a starting point for finding information about these devices and their operation.
Note: Crane and derrick safety hazards are addressed in specific standards for the general, maritime, and construction industries.
Federal Register Notices
- Cranes and Derricks in Construction: Operator Certification. Final Rule 79: 57785-57798, (September 26, 2014).
- Cranes and Derricks in Construction: Revising the Exemption for Digger Derricks. Final Rule 78: 32110-32116, (May 29, 2013).
- Cranes and Cranes and Derricks in Construction: Underground Construction and Demolition. Final Rule 78: 23837-23843, (April 23, 2013). The effective date of the final rule was May 23, 2013.
- Cranes and Derricks in Construction: Revising the Exemption for Digger Derricks. Withdrawal of Direct Final Rule 78: 8985, (February 7, 2013).
- Revising the Exemption for Digger Derricks in the Cranes and Derricks in Construction Standard. Final Rule 77:67270-67276, (November 9, 2012).
- Cranes and Derricks in Construction; Final Rule. Final Rule 75:47905-48177, (August 9, 2010).
- Cranes and Derricks in Construction Regulations
- Search all available federal registers notices.
Letters of Interpretations
- Cranes and Derricks in Construction: Final Rule. OSHA Fact Sheet, (July 28, 2010). Significant changes, requirements, and benefits for the new rule.
- Cranes and Derricks in Construction: Assembly and Disassembly, Subpart CC (PDF). OSHA Fact Sheet, (2010).
- Cranes and Derricks in Construction: Qualified Rigger, Subpart CC (PDF). OSHA Fact Sheet, (October 2010).
- Cranes and Derricks in Construction: Signal Person Qualification, Subpart CC (PDF). OSHA Fact Sheet, (October 2010).
- Cranes and Derricks in Construction: Subpart CC: Wire Rope - Inspection (PDF). OSHA Fact Sheet, (January 2013).
- Compliance Directive for the Cranes and Derricks in Construction Standard. OSHA Directive CPL 02-01-057, (October 17, 2014).
- 29 CFR 1926.605(a)(1) as Applied to Marine Construction. STD 03-13-002 [STD 3-13.2], (July 15, 1982). Discusses testing and certification of construction equipment used to handle cargo.
- UPDATED Frequently Asked Questions. (Updated July 18, 2016).
- Small Entity Compliance Guide for Final Rule (PDF). OSHA 3433-05 2011, (Updated September 26, 2014).
- OSHA issues Direct Final Rule to apply worker safety and health requirements for cranes and derricks to demolition and underground construction. OSHA Trade News Release, (August 17, 2012).
- U.S. Department of Labor's OSHA publishes final rule on cranes and derricks in construction. OSHA News Release, (July 28, 2010).
- OSHA Cranes & Derricks Subpart CC (PPT). OSHA, (October 1, 2010).
- Understanding OSHA's New Cranes and Derricks in Construction Standard (m4v). AGC Cranes and Derricks Webinar. A 60 minute PowerPoint presentation with voiceover and question and answers.
- Crane Safety Awareness For Site Superintendents. OSHA Video, (1992). Discusses some of the hazards and risks involved in crane operations and identifies information managers should be familiar with if cranes are operating on their site.
- Two Propane Gas Supplier Workers Electrocuted when Boom Truck Crane’s Boom Contacts 7,200 Volt Overhead Power Line, Washington. NIOSH, Washington Case Report: 10WA031, (April 21, 2015).
- Cranes and Derricks Final Rule. OSHA Web Chat, (July 28, 2013).
- Cranes and Derricks in Construction; Proposed Rule. Federal Register #73:59713-59954, (October 9, 2008).
- Safety Standards for Cranes and Derricks. Federal Register Notice 68:39877-39880, (July 3, 2003).
- C-DAC Consensus Document, Docket 68-14. (August 5, 2004). Note: This consensus document is the product of a negotiated rulemaking process conducted under the Negotiated Rulemaking Act. The document is subject to various Agency reviews. Upon completion of these reviews, a proposed standard will be published in the Federal Register for public comment.
- Additional information may be found by searching Docket S030.
29 CFR Part 1926
Cranes and Derricks in Construction; Final Rule (PDF*) (August 9, 2010).
- NEW Monorail Hoists Enforcement Policies [PDF]. OSHA Memo, (June 30, 2017)
- NEW OSHA intends to propose an extension of the November 10, 2017, compliance date for crane operator certification, further information will be provided when it is available. (May 2017)
- Supporting documents for ACCSH meeting on operator qualification (March 31-April 1, 2015):
- OSHA provides direction for inspecting cranes and derricks on construction worksites. OSHA News Release, (October 23, 2014).
- OSHA extends compliance date for crane operator certification requirements. OSHA News Release, (September 25, 2014).
- OSHA extends Temporary Enforcement Policy for Proximity Alarm and Insulating Link Use with Cranes and Derricks in Construction until further notice.
- Memo to Regional Administrators. OSHA Memorandum, (March 31, 2014).
- U.S. Labor Department and Federal Communications Commission announce working group to prevent fatalities in telecommunications industry. OSHA News Release, (October 14, 2014).
- OSHA issues new directive to keep communication tower workers safe. OSHA News Release, (July 24, 2014).
- Recent fatalities serve as a reminder to protect workers from demolition hazards. OSHA News Release, (July 10, 2014).
- Electrical Power Generation, Transmission and Distribution Standard Sub Part V. OSHA Federal Register, (April 11, 2014).
- Construction Industry Digest (PDF). OSHA Publication 2202-09R, (2014).
- Crane, Derrick, and Hoist Safety. OSHA Safety and Health Topics Page.