Region 8 - Alliance Agreement - February 5, 2015
AGREEMENT ESTABLISHING AN ALLIANCE
THE OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND HEALTH ADMINISTRATION
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF LABOR
REGION VIII - BILLINGS AND BISMARCK AREA OFFICES
MONDAKS SAFETY NETWORK
THE STATE OF NORTH DAKOTA
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA- REGION VIII - Billings and Bismarck .Area Offices), The State of North Dakota and the MonDaks Safety Network recognize the value of establishing a collaborative relationship to foster safer and more healthful North Dakotan workplaces. The Parties hereby forms an Alliance, to provide North Dakota's employers and workers with information, guidance and training resources that will assist them in implementing a robust systems approach to advancing the health and safety of employees within the oil and gas industry. The overarching goal of this Alliance is to reduce the number of occupational exposures to physical and chemical hazards, which can result in injuries and fatalities. In developing this Alliance, the Parties recognizes that OSHA- REGION VIII's Consultation Project partners, the North Dakota Occupational Safety and Health (NDOSH) and the Montana Safety and Health Bureau of the Montana Department of Labor and Industry (MDLI) are an integral part of this undertaking.
The Parties will work together to achieve the following training and education goals:
- Collaborate to develop training and education programs for oil and gas exploration and production companies and workers regarding safety and health programs and to provide expertise in communicating such information to employers and employees in the oil and gas industry.
- Collaborate to provide expertise in developing workplace safety and health information for oil and gas exploration, production and servicing companies and workers in the Williston Basin.
- Collaborate with other governmental agencies and private entities to facilitate occupational and environmental health and safety presentations, training and resources at monthly MonDaks Safety Network meetings.
The Parties will work together to achieve the following outreach and communication goals:
- Promote and encourage the participation of employees, managers, and supervisors in MonDaks Safety Network committees and programs to enhance communication; assist with identification of training and education needs; develop and coordinate applicable training; and share relevant safety information.
- Develop information on the recognition and prevention of workplace hazards and to provide expertise in developing ways of communicating such information (e.g. print and electronic media, electronic assistance tools and OSHA – REGION VIII's and applicable industry Websites) to employers and employees in the oil and gas industry.
- Speak, exhibit or appear at the State of North Dakota's or MonDaks Safety Network's conferences, local meetings or other events.
- Promote and encourage MonDaks Network's members' or worksites' participation in the State of North Dakota's Safety Management Programs (SMP) and OSHA - REGION Vlll's cooperative programs such as compliance assistance, the Voluntary Protection Program; Consultation and the Safety and Health Achievement Recognition Program (SHARP).
- Promote, encourage and participate in the Neutral Grounds Meetings quarterly.
The Parties will work together to achieve the following goals related to promoting the regional dialogue on workplace safety and health:
- Raise Employers' and workers' awareness of, and demonstrate their own commitment to, workplace safety and health whenever Mondaks Safety Network leaders address groups.
- Develop and disseminate the results of case studies on industry specific safety and environmental issues illustrating the business value of improved safety and health.
- Convene and participate in forums, round table discussions and stake holder meetings to help forge innovative solutions in the workplace or to provide input on safety health and environmental issues.
The Alliance provides parties an opportunity to participate.in a voluntary cooperative relationship with OSHA REGION VIII for purposes such as training and education, outreach and communication and promoting a regional dialogue on workplace safety and health.
The Alliance has proved to be a valuable tool for both OSHA - REGION VIII - Billings and Bismarck Area Offices and its participants. By entering into an Alliance, The Parties do not endorse any of the participant's products or services, nor do the Parties enter into an Alliance with the purpose of promoting a particular party's products or services.
An implementation team consisting of representatives of all three organizations will meet quarterly to develop a plan of action, determine working procedures and identify the roles and responsibilities of the participants. Team members Will include a representative of OSHA REGION VIII, OSHA- REGION VIII's Bismarck Area Office, The State of North Dakota and MonDaks Safety Network Board of Officers. In addition, they will meet at least four times per year to track and share information on activities and results in achieving the goals of the Alliance. OSHA- REGION VIII - Billings and Bismarck Area Offices will encourage Consultation Projects' participation on the team.
Each party will independently determine the nature and extent of the resources it will contribute to the Alliance initiatives: This agreement will remain in effect for two years, unless terminated earlier by the parties. Any signatory may terminate it for any reason at any time, provided they give a 30 day written notice. This agreement may only be modified in writing with the concurrence of all signatories.
Signed this 5th day of February, 2015:
Eric Brooks, Area Director, Bismarck Area Office, OSHA Region VIII
Jeff Funke, Area Director, Billings Area Office, OSHA Region VIII
Dennis Schmitz, Chair, MonDaks Safety Network
Bryan Klipfel, Director, North Dakota Workforce Safety & Insurance
Witnessed by: Jack Dalrymple, Governor of North Dakota