Region 6 - Alliance Annual Report - April 27, 2016
ANNUAL ALLIANCE REPORT
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
Dallas Area Office
Workers Defense Project - Dallas
April 27, 2016
- Alliance Background
A. Date Signed
April 28, 2014
B. Evaluation Period
June 6, 2015 to April 27, 2016
The Alliance between the Dallas Area Office of OSHA and the Workers Defense Project – Dallas (WDP) was directed towards collaboration in outreach efforts to reduce worker injuries, illnesses, and fatalities. WDP has offered weekly meetings for patrons that are free and open to the public to participate in workplace safety and health leadership awareness. Guest Speakers at the WDP meetings provide information regarding worker rights, statistics, and resources available.
D. Implementation Team Members
- Stephen Boyd, Area Director, OSHA, Dallas Area Office
- Elias Vela, Compliance Assistance Specialist (CAS), OSHA, Dallas Area Office
Workers Defense Project -Dallas
- Jason Cato, Dallas Director (2015) Workers Defense Project - Dallas
- Implementation Team Meetings
Alliance coordination and planning was conducted through phone, email, and meetings at both the OSHA Dallas Area office and the WDP Dallas office throughout the year. In addition to these formal meetings, the Alliance coordinators from both groups maintained regular contact throughout the reporting period to monitor the Alliance's progress and results.
The following table summarizes the Alliance's activities in support of the goals in the Alliance agreement.
- Raising Awareness of OSHA's Rulemaking and Enforcement Initiatives: To share information on occupational safety and health laws and standards, including the rights and responsibilities of workers and employers.
Activity Type Activity Name/Summary OSHA Areas of Emphasis Supported Number Reached Event Worker Memorial Day April 28, 2016 at the Dallas City Hall Jason Cato shared OSHA outreach publications and presented construction fatality statistics Workers' Rights 400 Speech/Presentation "Convivio" monthly meetings of patrons for the Workers Defense project -Dallas Workers' Rights 150 Training Authorized Trainer Jason Cato provided 10-Construction Safety Courses Intro to OSHA Heat Stress, Falls, Temporary Workers, etc. 50
- Raising Awareness of OSHA's Rulemaking and Enforcement Initiatives: To encourage worker participation in workplace safety and health by motivating employers to have safety and health plans.
Activity Type Activity Name/Summary OSHA Areas of Emphasis Supported Number Reached Meetings Monthly meetings where patron attended sessions of presentations regarding workplace safety and health Falls, Struck by, caught-in, and Electrical hazards 150
- Training and Education: To develop effective training and education programs for workers regarding construction and Focus-Four hazards, and to communicate such information to constituent employers and workers.
- Training and Education: To deliver or arrange for the delivery of 10-hour Construction Safety, and Focus-Four Hazard awareness courses in English and or Spanish.
Activity Type Activity Name/Summary OSHA Areas of Emphasis Supported Number Reached Training Authorized Trainer Jason Cato provided 10-Construction Safety Courses Intro to OSHA Heat Stress, Falls, Temporary Workers, etc. 50
- Outreach and Communication: To speak, exhibit, or appear at OSHA's or WDP -Dallas conferences, local meetings, or other occupational safety awareness outreach events.
Activity Type Activity Name/Summary OSHA Areas of Emphasis Supported Number Reached Speech/Presentation CAS Elias Vela spoke at the "Convivio" monthly meetings of patrons for the Workers Defense project –Dallas. Presented Worker fatality statistics revealing the Focus Four hazards in fatality investigations. Workers' Rights. Focus Four hazards. Fatality statistics 50
- Outreach and Communication: To develop and disseminate case studies on Hispanics in the construction industry and publicize their results.
Activity Type Activity Name/Summary OSHA Areas of Emphasis Supported Number Reached TOTAL 850
DAO CAS Elias Vela held meetings with the WDP Director, Jason Cato and other staff which resulted in discussions regarding recourses available to workers exposed to hazards in the workplace.
DAO CAS Elias Vela held discussions with the Alliance staff regarding the effectiveness of the Alliance, which resulted in a mutual agreement in favor of continuing the collaboration.
- Upcoming Milestones
1. Collaboration to submit an abstract for conducting a presentation at the first annual Construction Safety and Health Conference at the Irving Convention Center on or about Oct 27th, 2016.
2. Continue planning and conducting 10-hour Construction Safety courses for clients in English or Spanish, with the Alliance staff continuing to invite the DAO CAS out to provide the "Introduction to OSHA" segment of the course as a Guest Trainer.
Report prepared by: Elias Vela, CAS Dallas Area Office, May 27, 2016