Region 6 - Alliance Annual Report - July 21, 2016
ANNUAL ALLIANCE REPORT
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
The David L. Carrasco Job Corps Center #132
11155 Gateway West
El Paso, TX 79935
July 21, 2016
June 26, 2008, August 26, 2010, October 5, 2012, October 16, 2014 and resigned on November 2, 2015.
June 2015 – May 2016
Alliance between the United States Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration and the David L. Carrasco Job Corps Center was established as a collaborative relationship to provide information, guidance and access to training resources to the instructors and students of Job Corps in El Paso, Texas.
Implementation Team Members
- Diego Alvarado Jr.
- Area Director, OSHA El Paso Area Office
- Abraham Arzola
- Compliance Assistance Specialist, OSHA El Paso Area Office
David L. Carrasco Job Corps Center
- Margaret Arreola
- David L. Carrasco Job Corps Center Director
- Jacinto Ramos
- Job Corps Safety/Security Manager
- Joel Hernandez
- Job Corps Safety Officer
Implementation Team Meetings
- Contact has been continuous with the El Paso Area Office during the term of the Alliance.
- Compliance Assistance Specialist (CAS) Arzola attended an Alliance meeting with Mr. Jacinto Ramos from the David L. Carrasco Job Corp Center on July 7, 2015, to review the Annual Alliance report and schedule a presentation on OSHA’s revised Confined Spaces in Construction in the future.
- Area Director (AD) Alvarado and Mrs. Arreola, Job Corp Center Director, held a meeting at the David L. Carrasco Job Corps Center on November 2, 2015, to sign a new Alliance Agreement.
- CAS Arzola attended an Alliance meeting with Mr. Jacinto Ramos, Job Corp Center Safety/Security Manager, on March 9, 2016, to review their Work Plan, discuss upcoming events and distribute various OSHA Posters to the Center.
Events and Products
Training and Education
- The site continues to administer the OSHA General Industry and Construction 10 hour online training courses to Center students.
- The Safety/Security Manager and/or the Safety Officer provided staff and students with the following training sessions during this period:
- Personal Protective Equipment/Weekly with Employees
- Slips, Trips and Falls: Stronger than Friction/Weekly with Employees/Monthly with Staff
- Office Safety: Quarterly Training
- GSA Vehicle Safety Orientation and Van Road Test/With all New Employees
- The Safe Operation of Utility Cars
- Zero Fatalities: Texting and Driving
- Emergency Action Plan Quarterly Training
Outreach and Communication
- Mr. Joel Hernandez, Job Corp Center Safety/Security Manager attended The El Paso Area Office - OSHA Update presentations at the Region 19 Education Service Center on December 1, 2015.
- CAS Arzola, gave presentations on Heat Illness Prevention, Fall Prevention and Personal Protective Equipment to one hundred and twenty five students at the David L. Carrasco Job Corps Center on April 8, 2016.
- CAS Arzola and AD Alvarado held a meeting with Mrs. Arredondo from the David L. Carrasco Job Corps Center on April 25, 2016, to talk about a Job Corps Work Based Learning Program and possible internship.
- AD Alvarado, gave a presentation on The National Fall Prevention Safety Stand Down, to four hundred staff members and students at the David L. Carrasco Job Corps Center on May 10, 2016.
- CAS Arzola gave Heat Illness Prevention and OSHA Update presentations to one hundred Staff and Management personnel at the David L. Carrasco Job Corps Center on May 20, 2016. CAS Arzola also distributed OSHA Publications, Quick Cards and Fact Sheets.
Promoting the National Dialogue on Workplace Safety and Health
- The Center continues to established policies and procedures to promote a safe environment in the workplace.
- The Safety and Occupational Health Committee holds monthly meetings to report and eliminate any potential safety hazards, including a walkthrough of the Center, which is conducted by students that have reported any safety concerns for corrective action.
- An independent contractor conducts annual Environmental inspections of the Career Technical Training Trades, Academic Education, and Social Development areas, including the swimming pool.
- The City of El Paso Public Health department conducts quarterly inspections of the Food Service Department.
- The Center conducts monthly Fire Drills.
- The Safety Officer conducts daily, weekly and monthly Environmental and Safety walkthroughs of Center premises reporting any deficiencies for corrective action to the appropriate department heads.
- The Safety & Security Manager provides new staff and students with safety orientation training including, Center policies and procedures, fire prevention as well as bloodborne pathogens. The staff also receives training in Office safety.
- The Safety Officer ensures that the annual licensing of fire alarms is completed.
- The City of El Paso Fire Department conducts random inspections to ensure the Center is in compliance with City ordinances.
- The Safety and Security Department, in coordination with the Fire Department, conduct an annual live fire extinguishing activity for staff and students.
- A Pre-Survey Job Safety Analysis is conducted by the Safety Officer prior to the start of any projects at the Job Corps Center.
- Mr. Joel Hernandez, Job Corps Center Safety Officer, has completed all required training in the Personnel Regulation Handbook and is meeting DOL/OSHA Standard requirements.
- Job Corps students participated in the Student Safety Survey, and the results of the survey were compared with the National Center.
Type of Activity Number of Individuals Reached or Trained OSHA 10 Hour General or Construction Industry Course 140 students were trained and acquired the 10 Hour OSHA Card New Hazard Communication Safety Data Sheets Training 250 students were trained OSHA’s National Fall Prevention Presentation 400 members participated TOTAL 790
- Renew Alliance Agreement between OSHA’s El Paso Area Office and The David L. Carrasco Job Corps Center in October 2016