Region 6 - Alliance Annual Report - June 8, 2016
ANNUAL ALLIANCE REPORT
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
The Dallas Area Office
Baton Rouge Area Office
The ArkLaTex STEPS Network
June 8, 2016
July 8, 2015
June 6, 2015 to June 8, 2016
The Alliance between the Baton Rouge & Dallas Area Offices of OSHA and the ArkLaTex chapter of the STEPS Network was directed towards collaboration in outreach efforts to reduce worker injuries, illnesses, and fatalities in the Oil and Gas industry. ArkLaTex STEPS has offered OSHA Representatives a platform during monthly meetings that are free and open to the public to participate in Oil & Gas industry workplace safety and health leadership awareness. Guest Speakers at the ArkLaTex STEPS meetings provide information regarding worker rights, statistics, available resources and networking.
Implementation Team Members
- Dorinda Folse
- Area Director, OSHA Baton Rouge Area Office
- Stephen Boyd
- Area Director, OSHA Dallas Area Office
- Elias Vela
- Compliance Assistance Specialist (CAS), OSHA, Dallas Area Office
- Will Hebert
- Compliance Assistance Specialist (CAS), OSHA, Baton Rouge Area Office
ArkLaTex Chapter of the STEPS Network
- Liz McDaniel
- Phillip Crutcher
- Executive Assistant
Implementation Team Meetings
Alliance coordination and planning was conducted through phone, email, and monthly meetings at both the BP Facility near Hallsville, TX throughout the year. In addition to these formal meetings, the Alliance coordinators from both groups maintained regular contact throughout the reporting period to monitor the Alliance’s progress and results.
The following table summarizes the Alliance’s activities in support of the goals in the Alliance agreement.
- Raising Awareness of OSHA's Rulemaking and Enforcement Initiatives: To share information on occupational safety and health laws and standards, including the rights and responsibilities of workers and employers.
Activity Type Activity Name/Summary OSHA Areas of Emphasis Supported Number Reached Meeting ArkLaTex STEPS meeting in Hallsville, TX July 8, 2015 Workers' Rights
Meeting ArkLaTex STEPS meeting in Hallsville, TX Nov 12, 2015 Workers' Rights
Meeting ArkLaTex STEPS meeting in Hallsville, TX Dec 9, 2015 Workers' Rights
Meeting ArkLaTex STEPS meeting in Hallsville, TX Feb 10, 2016 Workers' Rights
- Raising Awareness of OSHA's Rulemaking and Enforcement Initiatives: To convene or participate in forums, roundtable discussions, or stakeholder meetings on Oil and Gas Industry operations in the Arkansas, Louisiana and Texas areas to help forge innovative solutions in the workplace or to provide input on safety and health issues.
Activity Type Activity Name/Summary OSHA Areas of Emphasis Supported Number Reached Meeting Monthly meetings where patrons attended sessions of presentations regarding workplace safety and health April 13, 2016 Falls, Struck by, caught-in, and Electrical hazards
- Training and Education: To develop effective training and education programs for workers regarding Oil & Gas industry regarding falls, electrical, fires-explosions, and struck-by hazards, and to communicate such information to constituent employers and workers.
Activity Type Activity Name/Summary OSHA Areas of Emphasis Supported Number Reached Meeting Monthly meetings where patrons attended sessions of presentations regarding workplace safety and health May 11, 2016 Falls, Struck by, caught-in, and Electrical hazards
- Outreach and Communication: To speak, exhibit, or appear at OSHA’s or Oil & Gas Industry safety conferences, local meetings, or other occupational safety awareness outreach events.
Activity Type Activity Name/Summary OSHA Areas of Emphasis Supported Number Reached Speech/Presentation CAS Elias Vela spoke at the ASSE East Texas Student Chapter Safety Conference Oct 29, 2015 Workers' Rights; Focused hazards; Fatality statistics.
ArkLaTex Chapter monthly meetings attended by DAO CAS Elias Vela, and BRAO CAS Will Hebert resulted in discussions regarding recourses available to workers exposed to potential hazards in the Oil & Gas Industry.
Discussions regarding the effectiveness of this Alliance resulted in mutual agreement in favor of continuing the collaboration.
- Collaboration(Partnering with Jeff Watts) to submit an abstract for conducting a presentation at the biennial OSHA Oil & Gas Safety and Health Conference at the Convention Center in Houston on or about Nov 29th, 2016.
- Continue planning and conducting monthly meetings.
Report prepared by: Elias Vela, CAS Dallas Area Office, June 17, 2016