Region 6 - Alliance Annual Report - October 29, 2015
ANNUAL ALLIANCE REPORT
U.S. Department of Labor
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Baton Rouge Area Office
Associated Builders and Contractors Inc., New Orleans/Bayou Chapter
October 29, 2015
May 09, 2013 - Renewed: September 22, 2014
May 9, 2014 to October 29, 2015
The OSHA and Associated Builders & Contractors, Inc. (ABC) New Orleans/Bayou Chapter Alliance, was established to create a collaborative relationship to foster safer and more healthful American workplaces. The goals of the Alliance are to provide the ABC New Orleans/Bayou Chapter's membership and partnering constituents with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help protect the health and safety of workers, particularly by reducing and preventing exposure to struck-by, falls, caught-in-between and electrical hazards, addressing construction and industrial contractor issues, and understanding the rights of workers and the responsibilities of employers under the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSH Act).
In developing the Alliance goals, OSHA and ABC New Orleans/Bayou Chapter recognizes that OSHA's State Plan and On-site Consultation Project partners are an integral part of the OSHA national effort.
Implementation Team Members
- Dorinda Folse
- OSHA, Baton Rouge Area Office, Area Director
- Wilfred Hebert
- OSHA, Baton Rouge Area Office, Compliance Assistance Specialist
Associated Builders and Contractors Inc., New Orleans/Bayou Chapter
- Angela M. Latino-Geier
Implementation Team Meetings
- June 26, 2014 Implementation Team Meeting
- September 11, 2014 Implementation Team Meeting
- November 26, 2014 Implementation Team Meeting
- October 20, 2015 Implementation Team Meeting
In addition to these formal meetings, the Alliance members maintained regular contact throughout the reporting period to monitor the Alliance's progress, current events, and results to address industry needs.
Events and Products
Training and Education
- Provide Safety Education - CSST Safety Tech, September 6 - 27, 2014 and CSST Field Safety October 4 - 25, 2014. CSST Safety Tech, March 7 - 28, 2015 and CSST Field Safety, April 4 - 25, 2015. Course curriculum includes OSHA 30 Certification.
- DOL in Partnership with New Orleans Job Corp workshop - How to Do it Right the First Time - OSHA step by step process for developing and implementing an effective safety and health program.
- Annual ABC New Orleans/Bayou Chapter Committee Leadership Directory included: Apprenticeship & Craft Training, Membership, Government Relations, Programs & Communications and Safety & Management Education.
- ABC New Orleans/Bayou Chapter Personnel Handbook - Safety Practices
- ABC New Orleans/Bayou Chapter Apprenticeship & Craft Training Student Handbook - Safety Policy & Procedures
- ABC New Orleans/Bayou Chapter Welding Department - Safety Rules and Regulations are posted specific to this construction craft.
- OSHA Fact Sheet and "All about OSHA" booklets are given out to all instructors, trainees and employees of ABC New Orleans/Bayou Chapter.
- Associated Builders & Contractors, Inc. (ABC National) mails the annual ABC Year In Review booklet to more than 70,000 employees), a section of the booklet reports on Safety, believing in establishing a zero-incident jobsites and also taking the pledge.
Outreach and Communication
- OSHA publications and information were provided at each committee meeting for distribution to workers by Alliance members.
- General Safety and Health Provisions were discussed in meetings: Construction standards such as frequent and regular inspections of the jobsite by competent persons and definition of a competent person. Requirements covering topics such as first aid, fire protection and housekeeping at the site.
- OSHA Heat Advisory was emailed by OSHA and sent out to all member contractors, recommending scheduling frequent rest breaks in shaded or air-conditioned environments. Anyone overcome by heat should be moved to a cool and shaded location. Heat stroke is an emergency - call 911.
- OSHA Training Institute Education Centers emailed, offering a series of FREE OSHA seminars throughout Region VI. Courses counts towards the new Public Sector Safety & Health Fundamentals Certificate Program.
- Workshop: Free Compliance Assistance Forum for employers, community based organizations and advocacy groups. The event will include a step-by-step process for developing and implementing and effective safety and health program; a description of OSHA compliance assistance resources; overview of the Site Specific Targeting program.
- Invite to the OSHA Regional Office in a Safety Stand-Down to prevent falls in construction.
- A Safety and Health evaluation of the training was conducted during at the end of the evaluation period.
- Outreach assistance was provided to ABC New Orleans/Bayou Chapter membership participating in the ABC National STEP Award Process.
Promoting the National Dialogue on Workplace Safety and Health
- Convene or participate in forums, roundtable discussions, or stakeholder meetings on industries safety to discuss safety and health issues and to help address needs in the workplace.
- The ABC New Orleans/Bayou Chapter Safety & Management Education Committee annually recognizes Workers' Memorial Day and communicates related information to regional industry personnel.
The ABC New Orleans/Bayou Chapter membership continue to have access to a greater amount of outreach information and publications and are made aware of the continued efforts of OSHA to reach at-risk industries by sharing current events, safety alerts, and best practices.
Type of Activity Number of Individuals Reached or Trained Topic(s) June 26, 2014 Meeting 5 Developing Safety & Management Ed courses – Discussion topic: Safety Pays Falls Cost August 1, 2014 Emails 85 Working in Summer Heat August 14, 2014 Classes 300 Fall Semester Begins/Safety Orientation August 21, 2014 Emails 85 Safety & Health Professional Appreciation Day/Safety Week II September 6,2014 Class 12 CSST – Safety Tech September 11, 2014 Meeting 6 Fraud Prevention/Safety Handouts September 25, 2014 Emails 85 Crane Operator Certification Requirements October 4, 2014 Class 12 CSST-Field Safety November 26, 2014 Meeting 5 Topic: Safety and Management Ed Courses December 19, 2014 Emails 85 CSST-Safety Tech Training/OSHA 30 January 5, 2015 85 STEP Application distribution January 20, 2015 296 Spring Semester Classes Begin/Safety Orientation March 5, 2015 400 ABC National Excellence in Construction Program & STEP Awards March 5, 2015 300 ABC National Craft Competition March 7, 2015 Class 12 CSST – Safety Tech April 4, 2015 Class 12 CSST- Field Safety May 1, 2015 75 Students from 9 local Parishes participated in the Regional ABC New Orleans/Bayou Chapter High School Welding Competition May 4 - 15, 2015 Email 175 National Safety STAND-DOWN June 1 – 18, 2015 High School Student Summer CORE Safety Session June 10, 2015 85 ABC National Webinar: Effectively Handling an OSHA Inspection June 17, 2015 ABC New Orleans/Bayou Chapter Apprenticeship & Craft Training Graduation Ceremony featuring ABC National President/CEO as Keynote Address July 22, 2015 85 ABC National Webinar: After OSHA Inspection: What do we do now? August 17, 2015 365 Fall Classes Begin/Safety Orientation October 14, 2015 Email 175 ABC National Webinar: Safety & Health Program: Best Practices October 20, 2015 Meeting 6 ABC New Orleans/Bayou Chapter Safety & Management Education Committee: Purpose & 2015-16 Schedule Ongoing during Semester Evaluation for ABC Alliance Requirements. Information will be provided about the ABC New Orleans/Bayou Chapter Apprenticeship Program. All courses are NCCER-certified: Carpentry, Electrical, Plumbing, Sheet metal, and Sprinkler Fitter (correspondence course) 30,000 plus 25 businesses, including ABC New Orleans/Bayou Chapter membership, participate in the Bayou Industrial Alliance between the ABC New Orleans/Bayou Chapter w/ Gulf Coast Safety Council & Greater New Orleans Business Roundtable TOTAL 33,000+
The OSHA-ABC Alliance plans to continue to strive to meet the goals for the next evaluation year and renewal of the Alliance.
- Continue Safety Committee Meetings
- Continue to provide hurricane outreach to local areas
- Consider a method of capturing a number of safety contacts and number of students contacted for more accurate annual report.
- Continue to provide ABC New Orleans/Bayou Chapter Construction Training Center Safety and Health Evaluation.
- Increase STEP Award Participation: promotion & outreach
- Continue to conduct Frequent and Regular Inspection Presentation to help address Focus Four, or other safety topic.
- List major planned activities, products, and issues that the Alliance plans to work on during the next reporting period, including plans for renewal.
Additionally, emphasis will be placed on the assistance that state consultation can provide to members in training, education in job safety, and health issues.
Report Prepared by: Wilfred J. Hebert