This page provides links to a variety of resources, such as documents, web pages, and online tools, related to respiratory protection. Most have been created by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), an Agency under CDC that conducts research and provides recommendations specifically for worker health and safety.
- OSHA Web page: OSHA Directorate of Training and Education's Training and Reference Materials Library. Provides outreach training materials (e.g., slide presentations) for OSHA's respiratory protection standard, as well as links to additional resources about respiratory protection.
- NIOSH/NPPTL Home page: Home page for the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health's National Personal Protective Technology Laboratory, which contains a variety of information and links related to respiratory protection and other personal protective equipment.
- OSHA Web page: Safety and Health Topics: Pandemic Influenza. Provides information and links related to pandemic influenza.
- OSHA Publication: Spirometry Testing in Occupational Health Programs - Best Practices for Healthcare Professionals*. OSHA Publication 3637, (2013).
- OSHA Web page: Safety and Health Topics: Tuberculosis. Provides information and links related to tuberculosis.
- OSHA-NIOSH InfoSheet: Maximize Your Spirometry Screening and Surveillance Resources. OSHA Publication 3415, (2011). Clarifies what spirometry is, when it is needed, and critical elements that employers can use to evaluate the quality of spirometry services provided to their workers.
- OSHA-NIOSH WorkerInfo: Protect Yourself Spirometry Breathing Test. OSHA Publication 3418, (2011). Explains to workers the importance of taking a spirometry test, what to do during the test, and their right to receive an explanation and copy of test results.
- NIOSH Guidebook: TB Respiratory Protection Program in Health Care Facilities Administrator's Guide. DHHS(NIOSH) Publication No. 99-143, (September 1999). Serves as a practical guide for those individuals responsible for initiating and running a tuberculosis respiratory protection program in health care facilities.
- NIOSH Publication: Preparedness through Daily Practice: The Myths of Respiratory Protection in Healthcare. DHHS(NIOSH) Publication No. 2016-109, (March 2016). NIOSH addresses common myths related to respiratory protection and provides information to reinforce respiratory protection program administrator responsibilities and HCW knowledge concerning the proper use of these devices so that they can be prepared for the next public health emergency and best protect themselves in daily practice.
- American Journal of Infection Control: Disinfection of reusable elastomeric respirators by healthcare workers: A feasibility study and development of standard operating procedures, Mary T. Bessesen, et al., March 2015.
*Accessibility Assistance: Contact OSHA's Directorate of Technical Support and Emergency Management at (202) 693-2300 for assistance accessing PDF materials.
All other documents, that are not PDF materials or formatted for the web, are available as Microsoft Office® formats and videos and are noted accordingly. If additional assistance is needed with reading, reviewing or accessing these documents or any figures and illustrations, please also contact OSHA's Directorate of Technical Support and Emergency Management at (202) 693-2300.
**eBooks - EPUB is the most common format for e-Books. If you use a Sony Reader, a Nook, or an iPad you can download the EPUB file format. If you use a Kindle, you can download the MOBI file format.Back to Top