Scope and Application
(Who Has to Use Respirators)
The OSHA respirator standard applies to all occupational airborne exposures
to contaminated air where the employee is:
- Exposed to a hazardous level of an airborne contaminant; or
- Required by the employer to wear respirators; or
- Permitted to wear respirators.
Four major duties are imposed by each of these standards. These duties are:
- Use engineering controls where feasible to control the hazard;
- Provide an appropriate respirator;
- Ensure the use of an appropriate respirator; and
- Institute a respiratory protection program that complies with the rest of the standard.