The major responsibilities of the Field Observer are:
- Review Common Responsibilities.
- Location of assignment.
- Type of information required.
- Time limits for completion.
- Method of communication.
- Method of transportation.
- Obtain a copy of the Incident Action Plan (IAP) for the Operational Period.
- Obtain necessary equipment and supplies.
- Perform Field Observer responsibilities to include but not limited to the following:
- Perimeters of incident.
- Locations of hot spots.
- Unburned islands.
- Rates of spread.
- Weather conditions.
- Hazards including escape routes and safe areas.
- Progress of operations resources.
- Be prepared to identify all facility locations (e.g., Helispots, Division and Branch boundaries).
- Report information to the Situation Unit Leader (SUL) by established procedure.
- Report immediately any condition observed that may cause danger and a safety hazard to personnel.
- Gather intelligence that will lead to accurate predictions.
- Maintain Unit/Activity Log (ICS Form 214, 5 KB PDF*).