- Safety and Health Topics
- Asphalt (Bitumen) Fumes
Asphalt (Bitumen) Fumes
- OSHA Occupational Chemical Database. OSHA's premier one-stop shop for occupational chemical information. It compiles information from several government agencies and organizations. Information available on the pages includes chemical identification and physical properties, exposure limits, sampling information, and additional resources.
- Asphalt Fume Exposures During the Manufacture of Asphalt Roofing Products. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) Publication No. 2001-127, (August 2001). Increases awareness among plant managers, safety and health professionals, and engineers of the potential for occupational exposure to asphalt and asphalt fumes during the manufacturing of asphalt roofing products.
- An Explosion in an Asphalt Patching Truck. Professional and Specialized Services, Ministry of Labour, (January 1996). Describes an explosion that occurred while an operator was cleaning an asphalt patching truck. Control measures and precautions to prevent similar incidents are discussed.
- Reducing Roofers' Exposure to Asphalt Fumes. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) Publication No. 2003-107, (September 2003). Provides a guide for roofers and contractors who work with hot asphalt on roofs, including steps for reducing exposure to asphalt fumes.
Sampling and Analysis
National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)
- NIOSH Manual of Analytical Methods (NMAM). NMAM is a collection of methods for sampling and analysis of contaminants in workplace air, and in the blood and urine of workers who are occupationally exposed. NMAM also includes chapters on quality assurance, sampling, portable instrumentation, etc.
- Polycyclic Aromatic Compounds, Total (PACs). Method No. 5800.