April 6, 1993
Colin J. Brigham, CIH, CSP
Loss Control Manager
Four Greenwood Square
3325 Street Road
Bensalem, PA 19020
Dear Mr. Brigham:
This is in response to your question concerning whether overhead bridge
cranes and gantry cranes, regulated by OSHA Standard 29 CFR 1910.179, can be
used as work platforms. Work, such as servicing of overhead lights, would
be performed from such cranes.
Work cannot be performed from a suspended load or hook but otherwise may be
done from the types of cranes referenced in the preceding paragraph.
However, such work may be performed only if all the following
conditions are met:
1. Fall protection and standard guardrails shall be provided and used.
2. Ladders shall not be erected and/or used on cranes to gain access to
areas that are not directly accessible from a crane without the use of a ladder.
3. Only "qualified persons," as that term is defined at 29 CFR 1910.399,
shall be permitted to perform work on or near electrical equipment.
4. Machinery and live electrical equipment shall be guarded.
5. Work from cranes shall be performed only when a crane is stationary.
6. Crane operators shall be notified before work is performed from a crane.
7. A crane shall not be moved until all employees on the crane are in
locations where they will not be exposed to injury.
8. Crane operators shall not move a crane unless they have determined
that all personnel are located in areas where they will not be exposed to injury.
9. Rail stops or other suitable methods shall be used to prevent a crane
from being struck, whenever other cranes are in operation on the same runway.
10. Signs, which indicate work is being performed, shall be posted
whenever work is performed from a crane. Such signs shall be visible from the floor.
11. Lockout/Tagout procedures shall be implemented, as appropriate, when
work is being performed from a crane.
12. Safe egress to and from a crane shall be provided.
If you require any additional information regarding the preceding, please
contact John McFee of my staff at (215) 596-1201.
LINDA R. ANKU