I. Alliance Background
Date Signed: May 9, 2003
Overview: The Northrop Grumman Alliance was established to foster a collaborative relationship focused on safeguarding workers in the shipbuilding industry, by sharing best practices and technical knowledge.
Implementation Team Membership: Representatives from OSHA (region 4 and 6 - Jackson, Mississippi, and Baton Rouge, Louisiana), Northrop Grumman Ship Systems, Inc (Ingalls, Gulfport, and Avondale Operations, including locations in Pascagoula and Gulfport, Mississippi, as well as Avondale and Tallulah, Louisiana) and the Pascagoula Metal Trades Council, AFL-CIO, the New Orleans Metal Trades Council, AFL-CIO, and the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, Local 733, which represent employees at these sites.
Contributors: Same as above
Evaluation Period: May 17, 2005, through July 26, 2006
II. Implementation Team Meetings:
Meetings of the alliance team have been conducted quarterly (8/18/05, 2/23/06 and 4/06). One meeting postponed due to Hurricane Katrina recovery.
III. Events and Products
Training and Education FY 2006
- The employer conducted an Applied Industrial Ergonomics 3-day class for employees.
- Ergonomic training program and worksite evaluations are conducted on an ongoing basis.
- FORM program implemented – Fix One Repeat Many
- New employee orientation program implemented that increases safety and health training
- Developed and implemented a Contractor training safety program
Outreach and Communication FY 2006
- The employer attended the Voluntary Protection Program Participant’s Association (VPPPA) Region IV Chapter meetings
- The employer has assisted in the development and implementation of a vocational training programs for local high school students
Promoting the National Dialogue on Workplace Safety and Health FY 2006
- The Alliance members participated on the negotiated rulemaking for fire protection standard.
- The Alliance members have assisted with Shipyard employment e-tool
- Injury and illness rates have been reduced at four facilities to below the industry average, since join the OSHA Alliance Program.
- The Pascagoula, Mississippi, site has submitted an application for participation in the OSHA Voluntary Protection Program (VPP).
V. Upcoming Milestones in FY 2007
- Achievement of VPP Star status at the Pascagoula, Mississippi, site. The Onsite evaluation is scheduled for November 2006.