Back to Region IV
I. Alliance Background
January 9, 2006
OSHA, GDOL and Georgia Tech formed an Alliance to provide small business employers in Georgia with
information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help them protect employees’
health and safety, particularly in reducing and preventing exposure to prevalent hazards in the
construction and general industries, by addressing such topics as work zone safety, electrical
safety, power tool safety, personal protective equipment safety, trenching/ excavation safety,
scaffolding safety, as well as fall protection and roofing. Emphasis will also be placed on
effectively communicating these issues to hard-to-reach groups, such as non-English speaking
II. Implementation Team Membership and Contributors:
Representatives from OSHA, GDOL and Georgia Tech met during the following dates: 1/18/2007*,
1/30/07**, 2/20/07**, 3/15/07**, 4/26/07*, 5/24/07*, 3/28/07** and 9/27/07*
Note: These dates were planning meeting for the *Georgia Safety, Health and Environmental Conference
and **Latino Construction Worker Day.
January 9, 2007, through January 29, 2008
III. Events and Products
Training and Education
Outreach and Communication
- November 5 - 8, 2007, during the Georgia Safety, Health and Environmental Conference members of
the Alliance participated in an OSHA 10-hour safety and health training course. Approximately 80
students participated in the General Industry safety and health training course.
- Alliance members participated in the Latino Construction Worker Day event conducted on April
15, 2007. The event was coordinated by a diverse group of organizations, including government
agencies, academic institutions and companies. The primary organizer was El Constructor Latino
magazine with cooperation from the Mexican Consulate in Atlanta, OSHA and the Georgia Institute of
Technology. The fair included training on a wide range of safety and health topics (Scaffold,
Excavation, Electrical and Fall Protection Safety, as well as Intro to OSHA).
- On September 8, 2007, representatives from Alliance participated in the 2nd Annual Construction
Safety Fair sponsored by the Hispanic Contractors Association of Georgia (HCAG) in Doraville, GA.
- On November 5 - 8, 2007, members of the Alliance participated in the, Georgia Safety, Health
and Environmental Conference, which is sponsored by the Georgia Department of Labor.
- The group promoted Project Safe Georgia, which is administered by the Georgia Department of
Labor, Safety Engineering Division, as a public service to citizens and members of the state’s
- The Georgia Department of Labor has established a link from its Web site to the Georgia Tech
Research Institute Onsite Consultation Project’s Web Site as a benefit to employers throughout
V. Upcoming Milestones in FY 2007
- Please refer to the events list above
- This Alliance has concluded as of January 29, 2008.