<< Back to OSHA National Alliances
(signed July 30, 2010)
(L to R) Standing: Lowell Randel, Director of Government Affairs, GCCA; Corey Rosenbusch, Vice President, GCCA;
Ryan Burr, Director of Safety, Americold; Mike McClendon, Chairman, World Food Logistics Organization; Mark Blanchard, Chairman,
International Association of Refrigerated Warehouses; Bob Hunt, Vice Chairman, International Association for Cold Storage Construction;
Sitting: Bill Hudson, President and CEO, GCCA; Dr. David Michaels, Assistant Secretary, USDOL-OSHA; and Bruce Badger, President,
International Institute of Ammonia Refrigeration, participate in a signing ceremony for the OSHA and GCCA Alliance on July 30, 2010.
Through the Alliance, OSHA and GCCA will provide GCCA
members and others with information, guidance, and access to training resources
that will help them protect the health and safety of workers, particularly by
reducing and preventing exposure to hazards related to chemical releases from
ammonia refrigeration systems and improving the Process Safety Management (PSM)
programs for these systems. The goals of the Alliance include:
Raising awareness of OSHA's rulemaking and
- To share information on OSHA's National Emphasis Programs, Regulatory
Agenda, and opportunities to participate in the rulemaking process.
- To convene or participate in forums, roundtable discussions, or stakeholder
meetings on ammonia refrigeration system-related issues to help forge
innovative solutions in the workplace or to provide input on safety and health
Outreach and communication:
- To develop information on the recognition and prevention of workplace
hazards, and to develop ways of communicating such information (e.g., print and
electronic media, electronic assistance tools, and OSHA's and the GCCA's Web
sites) to employers and workers in the industry.
- To speak, exhibit, or appear at OSHA's or GCCA's conferences, local
meetings, or other events such as Ammonia Safety & Training Institute Safety
Days, International Institute of Ammonia Refrigeration conferences, and GCCA
- To develop and disseminate case studies on illustrating the business value
of safety and health and publicize their results.
- To encourage GCCA members to build relationships with OSHA's Regional and
Area Offices to address health and safety issues, including those related to
PSM programs for ammonia refrigeration systems.
Alliance Annual Reports
Activities and Events
- May 5-11, 2013: 2013 North American Occupational Safety and Health (NAOSH) Week. The Global Cold Chain Alliance (GCCA) Alliance and a number of other Alliance Program participants support 2013 NAOSH Week. Sponsored annually by the American Society of Safety Engineers and the Canadian Society of Safety Engineering, the Week focuses on the importance of preventing injuries and illnesses in the workplace. 2013 Theme: "Worker Safety Works for Everyone."
- May 1-7, 2011: 2011 North American Occupational Safety and Health (NAOSH) Week. The Global Cold Chain Alliance (GCCA) and a number of other Alliance Program participants supported 2011 NAOSH Week. Sponsored annually by the American Society of Safety Engineers, an Alliance Program participant, and the Canadian Society of Safety Engineering, the Week focuses on the importance of preventing injuries and illnesses in the workplace. The theme for 2011 was "Celebrating a Century of Safety."
Products and Resources
Alliance Program Participant Developed Products
- Ammonia Safety Poster: Personal Protective Equipment for Refrigeration and Maintenance Technicians [PDF* - 2 MB]. Through the OSHA and GCCA Alliance, GCCA developed a poster focusing on personal protective equipment for refrigeration and maintenance technicians, including examples of protective wear. (2013, May)
- OSHA National Emphasis Program (NEP) - PSM Covered Chemical Facilities: Documentation Checklist [PDF*- 289 KB]. Through the OSHA and GCCA Alliance, GCCA developed a documentation checklist focusing on PSM covered chemical facilities, which includes items addressing compliance audits, hazard analyses, and equipment inspection. (2013, May)
- Ammonia Safety Poster: OSHA National Emphasis Program (NEP) - Chemical Facilities [PDF* - 302 KB]. Through the OSHA and GCCA Alliance, GCCA developed a poster focusing on the key things a PSM covered chemical facility needs to know about the OSHA NEP. (2012, July)
- Ammonia Safety Poster: Emergency Action Plans [English PDF* - 345 KB] and [Spanish PDF* - 709 KB]. Through the OSHA and GCCA Alliance, GCCA developed a poster on ammonia safety focusing on emergency action plans. (2012, March; Spanish translation 2013, May)
- Ammonia Safety Poster: Identifying Ammonia Leaks [English PDF* - 345 KB] and [Spanish PDF* - 709 KB]. Through the OSHA and GCCA Alliance, GCCA developed a poster to help identify ammonia leaks. (2011, March; Spanish translation 2012, January)
OSHA Safety and Health Topics Page
Areas of Emphasis
Accessibility Assistance: Contact the OSHA Directorate of Cooperative and State Programs at 202-693-2200 for assistance accessing PDF materials.
*These files are provided for downloading.