The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and the American Textile Manufacturers Institute (ATMI) agree to
establish an Alliance to promote safe and healthful working conditions for textile industry employees by:
OSHA and ATMI will work together to achieve the following outreach and communication goals:
- Providing ATMI members with information and guidance that will help them protect employees’ health and safety, particularly
in reducing and preventing exposure to cotton dust, noise, and unintended release of mechanical, electrical, or other energy
- Reaching out to members who may benefit from mentoring or guidance in developing, implementing, or improving safety and
health management systems.
OSHA and ATMI will work together to achieve the following goals related to promoting the national dialogue on workplace
safety and health:
- Seek opportunities to jointly develop and disseminate information and guidance through print and electronic media,
particularly the ATMI and OSHA Web sites.
- Promote and encourage ATMI members’ participation in OSHA’s cooperative programs such as compliance assistance, the
Voluntary Protection Program, Consultation, SHARP, and mentoring among ATMI members.
An implementation team made up of representatives of both organizations will meet to develop a plan of action, determine
working procedures, and identify the roles and responsibilities of the participants. In addition, they will meet on a regular
schedule to track and share information on activities and results in achieving the goals of the Alliance. OSHA will afford
the opportunity for representatives of the Occupational Safety and Health State Plan Association and the association of state
Consultation Projects to participate as well.
- Recognizing that ATMI’s Quest for the Best Program companies are identified by the association as having outstanding safety
and health programs, encouraging Quest members to act as industry liaisons and resources for OSHA’s cooperative programs and
Compliance Assistance Specialists. In addition, act as mentors to ATMI members that aspire to excellence in safety and
- Share information on best practices of participants in the Quest for the Best program with other members
This agreement will remain in effect for one year from the date of signing and will automatically be renewed annually
thereafter. This agreement may be modified at any time with the concurrence of both signatories and may be terminated for any
reason with 30 days written notice from either signatory.
Occupational Safety and
Parks D. Shackelford
American Textile Manufacturers Institute