|<< Return to Previous Page
- Possible ignition of flammable, explosive, and
pyrophoric gases, resulting
in fire or explosion.
- Employees may also be exposed
to gases above permissible limits.
OSHA Safety and Health Topics Pages:
- Identify and eliminate possible ignition sources. Use a Process Hazard Analysis (PHA) for identifying and controlling
- Provide appropriate ventilation to reduce gas concentration levels in the air.
- Provide PPE [29 CFR 1910
Subpart I] as appropriate to prevent contact with gases.
- Use respiratory protection [29 CFR 1910.134] when necessary to further reduce exposure and protect employees.
- Use gas monitoring systems with automatic shut-offs and alarm
systems, as appropriate.
- Design and use specialized processing, material handling, and storage equipment for gases. Consider both normal use and emergency scenarios.