The following sections provide information on this position:
Coordinator - General
- is responsible for managing and
overseeing all aspects of volunteer participation, including
recruitment, induction, and deployment. The Volunteer
Coordinator is part of the Planning Section and reports
to the Resource
Unit Leader (RUL).
Coordinator - Specific Responsibilities
The major responsibilities of the Volunteer Coordinator
- Review Common
- Coordinate with the Resource Unit to determine where
volunteers are needed.
- Identify any necessary skills and training needs.
- Verify minimum training needed, as necessary, with
Health and Safety
Officer (SO) or units requesting volunteers (if
special skill is required).
- Activate, as necessary, stand-by contractors for
various training needs (as applicable).
- Coordinate nearby or on-site training as part of
the deployment process.
- Identify and secure other equipment, materials and
supplies, as needed.
- Induct convergent (on the scene) volunteers.
- Activate other volunteers (individuals who have
applied prior to an incident and are on file with
the Volunteer Coordinator or other participating volunteer
- Recruit additional volunteers through media appeals
- Assess, train, and assign volunteers.
- Coordinate with Logistics for volunteer housing
and meal accommodations.
- Assist volunteers with other special needs.
- Maintain Unit/Activity Log (ICS Form 214,
5 KB PDF*).
Accessibility Assistance: Contact the OSHA Directorate of Technical Support and Emergency Management at (202) 693-2300 for assistance accessing PDF materials.
*These files are provided for downloading.