The major responsibilities of the Compensation/Claims Unit Leader are:
- Review Common Responsibilities.
- Review Unit Leader Responsibilities.
- Obtain a briefing from the Finance/Administration Section Chief.
- Establish contact with the incident Safety Officer (SO) and Liaison Officer (LO) (or Agency Representatives if no LO is assigned).
- Determine the need for Compensation for Injury and Claims Specialists and order personnel as needed.
- Establish a Compensation for Injury work area within or as close as possible to the Medical Unit.
- Review Incident Medical Plan (ICS Form 206, 5 KB PDF*).
- Ensure that Compensation/Claims Specialists have adequate workspace and supplies.
- Review and coordinate procedures for handling claims with the Procurement Unit.
- Brief the Compensation/Claims Specialists on incident activity.
- Periodically review logs and forms produced by the Compensation/Claims Specialists to ensure that they are complete, entries are timely and accurate and that they are in compliance with agency requirements and policies.
- Ensure that all Compensation for Injury and Claims logs and forms are complete and routed to the appropriate agency for post-incident processing prior to demobilization.
- Keep the Finance/Administration Section Chief briefed on Unit status and activity.
- Demobilize unit in accordance with the Incident Demobilization Plan.
- Maintain Unit/Activity Log (ICS Form 214, 5 KB PDF*).